Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Mac OS 10.9 end of support

Level 10

I've just had an email from Dropbox telling me that OS X 10.9 will no longer be supported from April 2019. The only advice they offer is to upgrade my OS. Sorry, but that's ridiculous - it should be obvious that I use 10.9 because I want or need to. I have no intention to upgrade.

So, this is my request :

1. Do NOT sign me out of the Dropbox app in April 2019.

2. FREEZE whatever version of Dropbox I'm using at that time, so it is not automatically updated. I WILL ACCEPT WHATEVER RISK IS INCURRED BY USING AN OUTDATED VERSION from then on.

The alternative - after using Dropbox for many years - is to find another syncing service. I will not use Dropbox at all if they sign me out. There will be no point, no point at all.

61 Replies

Re: Mac OS 10.9 end of support

Dropboxer
Hey there (@Chris R.), as of April 9th, 2019, the Dropbox desktop application will no longer work on any device running Mac OS X 10.9 or older.

Please note that your data in Dropbox is safe, but you will not be able to access it through the Dropbox desktop application unless you update to a supported operating system.

If your computer is running an unsupported operating system you can find instructions on how to update your operating system on the manufacturer’s website

From there, if you don’t wish to or cannot update your operating system, all your files will still be available through other compatible computers with supported operating systems, through supported mobile devices, and on the Dropbox website. However, on April 9th, 2019, devices running Mac OS X 10.9 or older will no longer be able to log in and access content through the Dropbox desktop application.

I hope that this addresses your initial inquiry & please do let me know here in case you have any more questions. Thanks for posting your thoughts on the matter on our Community & I'm wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 10

Jane, you have just repeated what was in the email Dropbox sent. Nor have you read all my post, where I said I do NOT wish to upgrade my OS.

Please tell me ONE good reason why Dropbox can't switch off automatic updating on my machine, and let me go on using the version of Dropbox I already have?

Super User II

Because Dropbox would have to continue supporting older technologies on their end, just so your machine can continue to communicate with their servers, and it's not cost effective to support multiple environments just so a very small percentage of clients can continue to function.

As newer operating systems and updates are released, the underlying components get upgraded as well. Eventually you get to a point where the latest versions of some of these components will not run on older operating systems. As Dropbox upgrades its services to use these newer components and technologies, the desktop clients have to be able to support them as well, otherwise they can't communicate with the servers.

Simply put, Dropbox can't improve their services if they have to continue supporting old technology. This has already happened with Windows XP and previous versions of OS X, and will continue to happen going forward.

Level 10

Rich, you too have missed my point. I'm not expecting Dropbox to continue to support an outdated tech (if that's really what it is).

I will repeat for the THIRD TIME: I want DB to cease updating my client, i.e. switch auto-updating off, and I will assume any risk to my data by continuing to use whatever version is current next April. I will then be using an old version of the DB app for as long as it continues to work.

Super User II

I have not missed your point, but you have missed mine.

The Dropbox service is a client/server environment. The client on your computer has to communicate with the servers at Dropbox. As those servers are updated to use newer technologies, the clients need to be updated as well. Dropbox can't do that on older operating systems as some of the underlying components are no longer compatible and will no longer work with your OS.

So, you see, in order for you to continue syncing next April, Dropbox would have to continue supporting outdated tech, and that simply will not happen. We've seen it many times before. Once a decision has been made to end support for an operating system, nothing said has ever changed it.

Level 10

Rich, on the face of it you have made a good point. However, peering below the surface, so many questions  are begged.

1. Dropbox servers support so many different platforms: MacOS 10.10 - 10.14, Windows 7, 8, and 10, Linux (how many??), iOS (ditto ??), Android (ditto ??). It seems on the face of it that one older Mac platform - which by the way is much newer than Windows 7 - shouldn't make any difference that amounts to a hill of beans. I note they ended support for 10.4 in 2015, i.e. after 10 years, while 10.9 is only 5 years old.

2. MacOS 10.9 introduced major 'under the hood' technologies. 10.10 on the other hand introduced major cosmetic changes but nothing major in technological advance. Yet Dropbox will continue to support 10.10. Reasons?

3. The actual service (technologically speaking) that Dropbox provides is really not that sophisticated. It is simply a sync'ing / backup / sharing service that is able to function across a wide range of digital platforms. It would be interesting to know exactly what is in 10.9 that will 'break' Dropbox that is not in 10.10? I suspect there isn't anything, and it's more about whether they can be bothered or not.

4. To underscore what I said in 3, I've found two other services - MEGA and pcloud - that support not only 10.9 but further back still.

So that's my piece. I leave you with two further questions:

A. If I rename the Dropbox app, will that effectively 'hide' it from Dropbox so they can't stop me using it?

B. If I am able to run a later MacOS (Sierra 10.12) in a virtualiser that is connected to the internet (which I can...), will Dropbox recognise it as a separate OS to what's on my main machine and still continue to function when I'm running the virtualiser?

Super User II

A) No.

B) Dropbox can be run within a virtual machine. It will detect whatever operating system it's installed in. If you're running a 10.12 VM and install Dropbox on it, Dropbox will see 10.12.

Level 10

One more question:

When Dropbox sign me out of the app in my host (10.9) OS next April, will the local Dropbox folder with all my data in, be left untouched and intact? I know the online data will be secure, I'm talking about the DB folder on my own machine.

(Please note - I've successfully downloaded Dropbox in virtualised Sierra. However, you should know that there is a known bug : the setup window is blank, and I had to guess from a ghost button where to click, whereupon I was invited to setup using a Google account, which was the only way I could get DB set up. I'm surprised that a bug from 2016 should still be there, especially considering how frantically often DB updates their software.)

Level 10

You must search on your own name RICH which I guess is why you haven't replied to my latest question? Hopefully you will now see it Rich Rich Rich.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Mac OS 10.9 end of support
61 Replies
54 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post