cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Microsoft word and excel only opens online version, I want to open normal excel and word

Microsoft word and excel only opens online version, I want to open normal excel and word

Southweststucco
Helpful | Level 5

When I go to open any excel or work files from my computer it only gives me an option to open the *online* version, not the version that opens up into a new window. I paid for all the software of microsoft, not sure why this happeneed, I am sure it is a quick fix but I have no idea what to do. 

I cant do anything until i fix this!

HELP! ASAP!

32 Replies 32

Southweststucco
Helpful | Level 5

I don't understand why I cant speak to someone so we can clear this problem right away.

I understand office 365 office doesnt sync with dropbox anymore (that sucks).

So how can I have my microsoft excel and word synced? That's all im asking for. 

I know i can download it, then save as inside dropbox, although this makes the process more tedious taking away a lot of the efficiency reasons I decided to joing dropbox. 

I need a solution.

Rich
Super User II
@Southweststucco wrote:

I don't understand why I cant speak to someone so we can clear this problem right away.

For starters, phone support is only available to Dropbox Business customers on the Advanced or Enterprise plans. Everyone else needs to open a ticket with Support. Also, assuming this feature wasn't removed intentionally, then it will probably require a developer to resolve because it's probably not an issue that regular Support can handle. This isn't a problem specific to just you, so it will require additional troubleshooting and testing before it can be resolved. In other works, it's not a simple flip of a switch to resolve. Again, this is all assuming that the feature wasn't removed intentionally.

So how can I have my microsoft excel and word synced? That's all im asking for.

The Office apps have never "synced" with Dropbox. The only thing that syncs is the Dropbox client, when installed on your computer. As I understand it, the ability to open a file from the website in the locally installed copy of Office requires that you have the Dropbox client installed and the file already syncing to your computer. If that's the case, you should already have the file locally and you can just open it directly from your Dropbox folder instead of from the website. Any changes you save to the file would be synced back to your account by Dropbox once you close the file. And this would actually be quicker than opening the file through website.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

@Rich wrote:

Hi @Ross_S,

I don't use Selective Sync on this computer, and the Dropbox client is running. The option to open the file locally does not appear. This is occuring on multiple computers.

Hey @Rich, it's working fine here:

options.png

Tested it on Chrome and Safari. If you're using a Mac, make sure that the Flash plugin is installed, and enabled for Dropbox in the Safari settings:

flash.png

@Southweststucco, if you're using a Mac, check the above as well!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff

I wonder if we have a misunderstanding of what the button does:

Open -> Open in Microsoft Word  = Open the actual Word doc that I already have on my desktop

If the doc isn't there then it will not open.

If you can't see the doc in that folder then I wouldn't expect to see that functionality.

Unless I missed it, can you confirm that if you navigate to that location, and double click the actual file, then it opens. If you're not able to complete this process for any reason then the option should not appear.

As someone (Rich?) mentioned on the prev page, this feature is just the same as double-clicking the local doc.

hollymchargue
Explorer | Level 4

When accessing a file through a shared link, I no longer have the Open menu with the dropdown option to "Open in Word." I only have the Open button, which leads me to Microsoft Online - which I do not want to use. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 3.40.45 PM.png
The folders in which the files are saved are shared folders in which I either own the folder or have access to edit. 

I have been able to Open in Word/application until just this week. This happens regardless of file type. Colleagues who have access to the same folders and files have the Open/dropdown menu and are able to open the file from the location. 

I know I can just go over to the folder, but that's extra steps and having it within the Dropbox link is much more convenient when working with folders with hundreds of files. 

I'm using a Macbook pro and Chrome browser. I have the latest browser and Microsoft updates. 

Any ideas? 

hollymchargue
Explorer | Level 4
I don't think this is the right board, but there wasn't one that made sense in the menu and I wasn't allowed to post to FAQ.

Rich
Super User II

@Ross_S wrote:

I wonder if we have a misunderstanding of what the button does:

Open -> Open in Microsoft Word  = Open the actual Word doc that I already have on my desktop

If the doc isn't there then it will not open.

If you can't see the doc in that folder then I wouldn't expect to see that functionality.

Unless I missed it, can you confirm that if you navigate to that location, and double click the actual file, then it opens. If you're not able to complete this process for any reason then the option should not appear.

As someone (Rich?) mentioned on the prev page, this feature is just the same as double-clicking the local doc.

Hi @Ross_S,

I have the file local and I can open it in Word without issue, but the option to Open in Word 2016 does not appear for me on the website, despite having the file locally and the Dropbox client up to date. Everything is in place for it to work, but the option is simply not there.

It's not an issue for me because, as you pointed out, I can simply double-click the local file. I was simply noting that I see the same issue that the OP has reported. There's also another person reporting it, and I'm about to move their thread here. See @hollymchargue's post above mine.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @hollymchargue, if you’re opening the file from a shared link, then you won’t get the ‘Open’ option, only a Download option.

Could you confirm exactly how you’re getting access to that file? Is it a link to your personal Dropbox account online?

Secondly, are you opening the Dropbox site on the same computer that the desktop app is installed on? Are you sure that the Dropbox desktop application is installed and running? Is the file saved on your machine in the Dropbox folder? 

@Rich, have you checked your browsers for the Flash plugin? 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

CarolynMello
Explorer | Level 3

Walter, so if I understand correctly that since Microsoft 10 no longer recognizes Office 2007, I cannot access my files as I have in the past.  I also have the syncing problem and my newer computer in the kitchen does not hold the files I create in the bedroom 15 steps away.  I've looked for the gear for more than an hour.  Does the dropbox free version have a gear?

Carolyn

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi Carolyn, the gear icon should be on the Dropbox desktop application, and not the Dropbox site, so it is always there regardless of what plan you have.

Have you installed the app on your machine? If not, please download it from here and let us know if it syncs successfully!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?