cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Dropbox folder to removable drive?

Move Dropbox folder to removable drive?

David S.266
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have an Intel Compute Stick with very little storage on the device itself. I tried to move my Dropbox folder to a microSD card installed in my Intel Compute Stick but I got an error message from Dropbox because the microSD card is removable. Is there any way of overriding this, so that I can put my Dropbox folder on my microSD card?

75 Replies 75

mama
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Gazzaroonii I have dropbox on mini SD card in my surface pro4. I have not converted my sd card from FAT to NTFS yet. Please let me know if you found any solution. 

Thanks

Clif_
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@mama I have successfully mounted dropbox on a NTFS formatted usb stick on my surface pro 3 after I received the notification that my FAT format was no longer accepted.

I do not know if there is a way to do this without dropbox downloading everything to the new location - my attempt at copying all the files from the old FAT formatted stick to the new NTFS stick failed as dropbox refused to recognize the copies and treated the new stick as a new device.

I did not experience the error @Gazzaroonii did.

Angelwolf
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How do I install dropbox to the db mount? The installer doesn't give me the choice where to install the application.... 😕

laseala
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Worked perfectly with my microSD card in the windows 10 laptop. Thank you for sharing!

VAHUJA
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Can this work on a surface go where the internal storage is 128gb and the external sd card is for 256 gb? Please reply.

laseala
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It should work. The method mentioned here is to fool the dropbox software to think the removable drive is an internal drive. 

VAHUJA
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The reason I am asking is because the external storage size is much more than the size of the internal storage. Internal storage is only 128GB and the external storage is 256 GB.....Can the dropbox be fooled into thinking that the much larger external storage can be included in the smaller internal storage?

apmessner
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Perfect! Thanks!

Ricky4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Trever M. wrote:

Frankly, this should be a no-brainer feature.  If I choose to use "external media" for drop-box it's incumbent on ***ME*** the user.  

In my case, I use a Microsoft Surface Pro.  The drive in it is only 256GB.  I have a 200GB SDCard, which never leaves the computer.  

I have tried to use the create a folder, and mount into the folder as a way to bypass this, but I also use this drive to redirect downloads, documents, desktop, etc. and it hasn't been stable for this, so instead I use D:\ for those, and would like to do the same for a folder called D:\username\Dropbox just like I have for D:\username\Desktop or D:\username\Videos.

It should be a simple checkbox, where I deliberately select to use an external drive and accept the risks associated, rather than being forced into using my C: drive.

It's not uncommon nowadays to have users with computers that have a limited SSD drive for their boot, programs, etc. and a D:\ that is a microSD card for their file share data, of which DropBox would be included.  

If I can't get DropBox to work for me in this very basic way, I will find an alternative that works for me.  Not that DB is going to miss my 99$ a year, but I am sure that users like me make up 1 - 2 % of potential users, which is an income stream they are missing out on.

You sir are absolutely correct. It's now 2019 and this ridiculous restriction is still in place. Dropbox is currently being ininstalled as I type this.

Ricky4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The formatting on this website is absolutely ridiculous also. I replied to a specific post but this website placed my reply right at the very end of the comments where it made no sense. I had to go back and manually use quote tags after manually copying and pasting what I was replying to. Only to now find I cant delete the original reply which this site placed randomly at the end LOL....but if I edit said reply, this site is aware exactly which comment I replied to...but yet doesnt display it LOL....staggering, absolutely staggering.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Morpheus New member | Level 2
    apmessner New member | Level 2
    Cyron Explorer | Level 4
    intuitivefox New member | Level 2
    Dave C.5 Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?