cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Moved to "D" drive from "C" but files are still on C drive.

Moved to "D" drive from "C" but files are still on C drive.

JackAubrey
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I want to  move my Dropbox folder from "C" SSD drive which is out of room to my "D" drive. Followed the directions and was able to get it over to the "D" drive but the "C" folder still exists. So it looks like it copied? How do I delete the "C" Dropbox version? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JackAubrey
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Brainfart!!!! It did delete. The icon is for the D drive and not C. It shows in the sidebar menu - Ithought it would delete from there too. Anyways a proper look at my C drive shows all Dropbox files and Dropbox deleted. Thanks. Sorry for the false alarm. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Jack, if the Dropbox folder on drive D:\ has all the sync icons there, and the old folder on C:\ doesn’t, then you should be able to safely delete the folder on C:\.

Also, you can confirm in the Dropbox desktop application itself to see what the official location of the Dropbox folder is.

Hope this info helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JackAubrey
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm seeing the green checks next to the Dropbox folder on both the "C" and "D" drive. I want to remove the "C" drive version. Delete does not seem to be an option.... it's greyed out. Help? Can I uninstall just the "C" version?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If there’s a lot of files in your account, it might still be copying the files over. Can you confirm if the folders are both the same size?

Also, what does the Dropbox desktop application say for the current folder location?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

JackAubrey
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

123 GB shown for both folders. Yes there are alot of files.... And the current folder location reads the "D" drive which is where I want it. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If this is the case, then you should be able to delete the C:\ folder.

If you’d prefer to be cautious, try renaming the folder in C:\ and see if the Dropbox desktop application brings up any error messages.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

JackAubrey
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Still not working. If I try deleting a folder from the C drive version it also deletes it from the D drive. The reason I'm trying to move it to the D drive is to free up space on my SSD drive. Doesn't do me any good if I can't get rid of the C version.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
If somehow both the C:\ and D:\ are syncing to the same Dropbox account, we’ll need to investigate this further. 

Would it be okay if we reach out to the email address associated with your forum profile?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

JackAubrey
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes.

JackAubrey
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Brainfart!!!! It did delete. The icon is for the D drive and not C. It shows in the sidebar menu - Ithought it would delete from there too. Anyways a proper look at my C drive shows all Dropbox files and Dropbox deleted. Thanks. Sorry for the false alarm. 

Need more support?