cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Multiple Windows local accounts (Users) and one Dropbox account?

Level 4

I have a Windows 10 computer that I just setup to use my Dropbox account. I normally operate my computers with multiple accounts so as to do most of my work using an account that does NOT have administrator permissions. Without intending to, it looks like I have both Windows accounts sync'ing to the same Dropbox account.

My first concern has to do with whether or not this is valid with respect to the design of sync in Dropbox.

From my point of view there is no need to sync dropbox files from the administrator account. Interestingly, on this account the Dropbox program (?service) is inviting me to sync to an account, implying that it is not presently accessing any account, while the special Dropbox ICONs both on the desk top and Windows/File explorer are referencing the dropbox folder for the other (standard) account.

On my other Windows (7) computers, I have them setup such that Dropbox is nowhere to be seen on the administrator accounts and functions as expected on the other (standard) accounts. This seems to me to the normal, at least to me understandable, way to do it. If this is the best way to do it, how can I make my Windows 10 system do the same thing?

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Multiple Windows local accounts (Users) and one Dropbox account?

Dropboxer
Hey there (@aeneas), thanks for checking in with us! 

My first concern has to do with whether or not this is valid with respect to the design of sync in Dropbox.

You should be able to install Dropbox without admin privileges. The key is to say "No" when Windows prompts you for the admin's password however it would be worth noting that we generally recommend installing Dropbox with admin privileges as some features, like overlay icons, rely on it.

Interestingly, on this account the Dropbox program (?service) is inviting me to sync to an account, implying that it is not presently accessing any account, while the special Dropbox ICONs both on the desk top and Windows/File explorer are referencing the dropbox folder for the other (standard) account.
From there, can you clarify if you have more than one Dropbox accounts? If so, then it's possible to use a different Dropbox account for each user login on your computer. While this technically means you can have several Dropbox folders on the same computer, you'll have to switch between each user account to take advantage of Dropbox's syncing features. 

To best determine which Dropbox account is syncing to which profile, you should navigate on your Account tab on the Dropbox desktop app:

Spoiler
Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar. ➡️ Click the gear icon and select Preferences from the menu. ➡️ Select the 👤 Account tab. 
If you wish to link a different account on the profile loaded, you can easily do so by unlinking your first account & relinking your second one. (Note: This action will leave all the files from your first account intact there.) 

Hopefully my post addresses your initial inquiry however please do let me know here in case I’ve misunderstood your request in any way. Thanks for posting us on our Community & I’m wishing you a wonderful rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 4

As stated in my original question this involves a single dropbox account.

I believe that I did allow Dropbox to be installed using administrator permissions. Also, the installer may have been invoked when running as the standard Windows user (i.e., rather than the admin user). If that would cause setup of Dropbox for the admin user this could explain how this situation arose.

I believe that I've figured out how to correct the problem. First I notice that there seems to be a Dropbox related entry that has been added to the Startup folder for all users. I removed this entry for the admin user even though Dropbox had been showing that NO Dropbox account was being sync'ed for the admin user. Then I simply deleted what I referred to as special ICONs for Dropbox that were showing up on the Desktop as well as within File Explorer.

Now my Windows 10 system seems to be working as my Windows 7 system in which Dropbox is nowhere to be seen when running under the admin account but appears to be functioning normally when running with the standard account.

It appears as though my Windows 10 system is now running as desired with respect to Dropbox. Unless I've done something invalid, in which case I'd like to be informed as such, it looks like this problem is fixed.

Dropboxer

Thanks for letting me know of the progress (@aeneas); I’m merely checking back with you- have you been able to address your initial concern? 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Multiple Windows local accounts (Users) and one Dropbox account?
3 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post