New Dell with Dropbox-20GB promotion won't "fetch updates"

SOLVED
3 Comments
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 5

New Dell with Dropbox-20GB promotion won't "fetch updates"

Hi,

I have a new Dell laptop, and it includes dropbox with 20 gb promotion. I click on the existing dropbox icon in the start menu and I see the window shown in this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/4200

I login with my existing account then it says "Fetching Updates", but it never completes, I have waited almost about 2 hours. I tried uninstalling and reloding from dropbox webpage but then I do not get the 20 gb space, so I have recovered to the factory settings after doing that. I have tried turning off the antivirus protection and firewall but it did not help (I did not wait for 2 hours this time however I guess 10-15 mins). Any suggestions or should I already give up on this 20gb space?

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Level 5

Re: New Dell with Dropbox-20GB promotion won't "fetch updates"

Ok my problem was embarrassingly simple: I used some characters that is not in the English alphabet for my PC user name, and Dropbox was not able to reach the file that is generated by using that user name. Now its fixed and working.
3 Replies
Level 2

I don't actually need the extra space, I just would like it to work!
Level 5

My problem has an update: While I was working suddenly a Windows permisson window appeared ( one of those saying do you allow this application to make changes). I accepted and now after I login I am getting an error message saying:

Couldn't start Dropbox. This is usually because of a permissions error. .... and so on. 

It also gives an error text file, which ends with:

OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ....

I have tried to follow the steps related to permission errors but it is not working yet.

Solution
Level 5

Ok my problem was embarrassingly simple: I used some characters that is not in the English alphabet for my PC user name, and Dropbox was not able to reach the file that is generated by using that user name. Now its fixed and working.