cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Drop Box freezing windows 10

Possible conflict with Dropbox and Trend Micro (Dropbox freezing)

koltipelto
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have dropbox business, I will not say every computer, but half of the company's computers are crashing.

At first I thought it could be a driver, a virus, or even a windows 10 error. I got to format 2 of them, and still they keep crashing, they get frozen screen, I can not do anything, I have to force the physical button.

When I disable the dropbox, the computers work perfectly. All of them are running with the latest version 30.4.22.

46 Replies 46

binary
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am having the same issue and it is Windows 10 with latest update and pretty reasonable specification. I have been working on from 3-4 days and once disabled the Dropbox from Start Up then the laptop is fine otherwise it freezes in a minute from startup. You do not get chance to do anything.

Tried all the steps but no real luck, even reducing the processory from 100% to 85% but issue remains.

so really waiting to get this resolved or we might have to use ulternate solutions.

Rob21
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Where did you turn off selective sync?

In the desktop client I have Smart Sync and Selective Sync. We use Smart Sync and there is a checkbox for it. Selective Sync only has a list of folders to sync to this computer and I have "select all" ticked.

In the admin console I can't find Selective Sync, only Smart Sync.

I now have two computers in my organisation three in one client's and one in another client that freeze and are solved by disabling Dropbox on boot.

Edit: one machine in my org is Windows 7...

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hello again, I hope my message finds you well! 

Initially, it’s my understanding, that binary refers to dflord’s Solution in the first page Rob21. Can you please let me know if I'm right in my assumption binary

Following, because I understand that you'd need further assistance on this issue binaryI’ve made sure to run a search on our system on my end & I’ve located your open ticket. In order to expedite matters, I’ve raised your support priority internally & I’ve notified my colleague handling the issue on your comments here. 

Please check your inbox for their latest message & include all relevant info on that discussion, so as to check your account info based on the details we have on our tools. 

Rest assured that you’re in safe hands from now on & I hope this gets resolved soon for you. Welcome to our Dropbox Community! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Johnwho92
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue on a customers PC i disabled it from startup and manually opening it later and now the computer isnt freezing.

not an ideal solution but atleast they can use the computer :upside_down:

Using Windows 10, Trend Micro AV 

binary
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

You are right Jane, after gone through this Blog and as it says "Solved" but did not help me at all. In our case it was not Windows latest Feature update 1803 as this started happening before.

In our case, the anti-virus ie Worry Free Business Security Services (Trend Micro) and Dropbox conflicting to a level that its making the device to freeze. Either disabled the Dropbox from Startup or Uninstallation of Trend help resolved the probelm straight.

I will be reinstalling the Trend Again and see if it helps.

Rob21
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Interesting. All of the problems we are having include Trend Micro WFBS-Services and Dropbox. The workaround is to disable Dropbox on startup and manually start a minute or two later.

binary
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi Rob21,
Starting manually after a minute or two later does not help as in our instance it was still freezing. And very hard to expect from the end-user to do it.

Rob21
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes - understand that we can't rely on end users.

I'm going to work at this from both ends and have started communication with Trend Micro.

binary
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I would like to update that the problem resolved on our side now and here is the steps taken.

- Clean up the registry

- Uninstall and Install back Dropbox

- Uninstall and Install back Worry Free Business Security

------- Added Dropbox program files path in Approved List (just in case)

Also device speed improved quite a bit. We did not reinstall the windows.

Environment

- Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

- Worry Free Business Security Services (Trend Micro)

I hope it helps to someone.

Rob21
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks. What did you use to clean the registry?

Need more support?