cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Problem with making a local backup of Dropbox folder (version 14.3.17)

Problem with making a local backup of Dropbox folder (version 14.3.17)

Robert J.
Collaborator | Level 9

I make periodic full backups of my Dropbox folder to an external hard drive. This is (or used to be) simply done by copying and pasting the folder to the external drive. That worked perfectedly until the latest release (14.3.17), but now the copy stops, and is reporting file access errors.

I tracked the failing files (24 of them) down to the .dropbox.cache folder. They are located inside a subfolder named 'qebcobkqbgpbzfynfuwbof', and are all called placeholder.*, where the * represents 24 different standard file extensions, like avi, doc, jpg etc etc.

Stopping Dropbox, deleting the offending subfolder and restarting Dropbox causes that subfolder to be recreated with 24 uncopyable files in it again.

The problem occurs on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. I have found a very similar post in Spanish on another part of this forum (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Buscar-respuestas/problema-con-files-in-cache/td-p/192449) and another in Russian on the Dr Web forum. Both mentioned exactly the same 'gobbldegook' subfolder name!

12 Replies 12

Alexis G.1
Super User

I have been aware that Dropbox is mirroring software, and not backup software, ever since I began experimenting with its earliest releases.

Good. Yes. Dropbox it's a Sync Software. You are correct: "mirror"

I also know what I want to back up and what I don't, and what the .dropbox.cache folder is for.

Good!

I don't need any "great tools" - if I wanted one I would write my own.

I just share it to give you better options for your backups. This is a public forum, other users can read it and use it (most users are no able to "write" state of the art backup/copy software like Teracopy, Beyond Compare, etc.). This options are better than Windows Explorer.

I have been managing computers, writing operating systems and producing applications since 1971.

Congratulations.

The problem I reported with the beta release 14.3.17 is based on the principle that no software, Dropbox included, should create files that break the standard functions of the manufacturer's operating system. The writers of Dropbox have no right to decide which functions of my computer' operating system I can use on any part of my hard drive  and which I can't.

But you say in your initial Post the 24 files with issues are inside the Cache Folder. Files in this folder are normally hidden/protected OS files so It's ok if you cannot copy them. This is not relevant for your manual backups.

It's just my personal opinion. Please let me know if I miss-understand the problem.

Robert J.
Collaborator | Level 9

@Alexis G.1 wrote:

But you say in your initial Post the 24 files with issues are inside the Cache Folder. Files in this folder are normally hidden/protected OS files so It's ok if you cannot copy them. This is not relevant for your manual backups.

It's just my personal opinion. Please let me know if I miss-understand the problem.

The Dropbox folder is a standard visible 'user' folder with almost all of my important files stored inside it. I have no problem with Dropbox or any other software creating a hidden folder within that 'user' folder and storing information in that folder in order to be able to perform its function. That's normal and acceptable software practice in many operating systems, not just Windows.

What is unacceptable is to create files inside that hidden folder, or anywhere else for that matter, which prevent the visible user folder from behaving as a user folder should. All of the standard commands of the operating system should always be usable on all folders that the user can see, and that includes the top-level Dropbox folder.

Here's what happens when the copy/paste process hits a file in the hidden folder:

Capture.PNG

There's no indication where the failing file is stored. The message might be indicating a serious disk drive problem. It might scare a naive user. It gave me cause for concern, and I did run a disc scan and repair, which reported no errors. That made no difference. I did a bit of research and tracked down the cause. I posted here and this was the most recent reply from a 'Dropboxer':

Hi Robert, I think we've identified the issue and we're working on a fix. Will follow up on this thread when it's in a build you can try. Thank you for reporting! 

So the official standpoint is that it's an issue that needs fixing. That's good enough for me! :grinning:

Dade
New member | Level 2

I had the same problem;  it was with the AVI placeholder as well.

Disabling sync and then deleting the contents of the .dropbox.cache folder worked for me (except I moved it to the Desktop as a precaution rather than deleting it - so if deleting the contents doesn't work, ie due to permission or access errors, try moving it).

I'm on Windows 10 Enterprise Anniversary update

What I tried before this, in case this helps the devs fix the problem:

Deleted just the file it was reporting the error on - problem moved to a new placeholder file

Exiting dropbox, deleting the files, reopening

Doing this with synchronization still on

Rebooting

Reinstalled dropbox after setting my Windows account to be a true Administrator account

I'm moving from one partition to another on the same raid array, both are NTFS

Need more support?