cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Re: Dropbox stuck on sync and hanging (Mac v45.4.92)

Level 2

Hello @Sanchez,

Google showed me that you helped another Dropbox user on a similar issue that I am experiencing.  Dropbox on one of my machines has been hanging for 2 days now and showing the same number of files (14,663) pending sync. 

I am using v.61.4.95 of Dropbox app on my OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 (not ready to upgrade yet because certain other software that I need is not compatible by default with the latest OS dizzy face.  The same set of files has sync'd properly and completely on all other machines that I use (office PC and home PC -- the computer in question is the one that I travel with). 

I have quit/restarted Dropbox as well as restarted my computer at least twice, but nothing seems to be resolved. 

I'm at a loss and need your help to point/tip me in the right direction to fix this issue.

2 Replies

Dropboxer
Hey there (@tabish89), thanks for reaching out for advice on the Dropbox Community, I’d happily follow-up on your inquiry! 

Initially, please bear in mind that I’ve moved your post on a new discussion, in order to focus more on the issue you’re facing, though you can always refer back to the previous conversation here

Now, unlinking & relinking is a great troubleshooting step, though it seems that it didn’t bring about the desired results this time. For that reason, I ‘d suspect that the last installation wasn’t completed correctly in the first place. Additionally, I’m wondering if you’re using Boxifier, or a security application that could be blocking our app from running in the background. Please do let me know whether any of the above applies.

To my mind, you could disable all security applications running in the background then you could have a look at the steps outlined here: 

Spoiler

• Stop Dropbox (if needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the menu bar on the top of your screen. >Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox". 
  • Delete the Dropbox application from the Applications folder. You may need to provide your computer password in order to perform this action. 
  • Reinstall the Dropbox desktop application following these steps:
  • Disable any Security/Antivirus programs & download our offline installer:  https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?plat=mac&type=full (Mac)
  • Open the Dropbox .dmg file and double click the Dropbox icon. Dropbox should appear in your menu bar.

Please keep me updated here on how these steps work for you & I’ll do my best to follow-up on this discussion. Thanks again for reaching out to us on our Forum! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Dropboxer
Thanks a lot for circling back to me so quickly @tabish89! While we’re at it, I’d like to see if something’s blocking our application from running as it should; I’d appreciate it if you could try the following for me: 

Spoiler
  • Stop Dropbox (if needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the menu bar on the top of your screen. >Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox". 
  • Delete the Dropbox application from the Applications folder. You may need to provide your computer password in order to perform this action. 
  • Reinstall the Dropbox desktop application following these steps:
  • Open the Dropbox .dmg file and double click the Dropbox icon. Dropbox should appear in your menu bar.
Please keep me updated here on how the outcome & I’ll do my best to follow-up on this discussion. Thanks again for reaching out to us on our Forum! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

2 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post