cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading complete file names on ipad

Ipad and Iphone viewing of long file names

Shawn V.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Our company is having the issue that on the mobile app (using the ipad or iphone) often times the file name is too long to properly view what we are opening. I want to be able to read the entire file name so I know what i am opening since many of the beginning and last parts of the file are exactly the same for filing purposes so I want to be able to view the file name without having to open each one in order to find out. I'm hoping I make sense. Is there something I'm missing where I'm able to do this? I can't "right click" on the file name cause I'm mobile otherwise I would try that 🙂

114 Replies 114

Linn S.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I have an issue with long file names and iOS. Whenever I use my iPad Air or Mini, the long file names are truncated, in both portait and landscape view. I understand that there is an inforamtion button but that is slow and and cumbersome (in my option). The view expands in iOS for the phones but not the iPads. Any help or advice... Thank you,

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
I dont believe its possible Linn, sorry.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Linn S.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I understand, Thank you for your time. 

Duke
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That the iPad App is unable to clearly display even moderately long folder/file names renders it and Dropbox unusable. I am using a 12.9 iPad Pro, which has a good sized screen, but because Dropbox have chosen to squeeze the folder/file names viewer into a small portion of the left side of the app it is impossible to see what files are in the folders without individually clicking on each file to investigate. It is not possible to resize the folders/files viewer or display it in full screen.

Like many users I have many folders and files with long names - for my work they need to be named in this way. And not being able to quickly see the names of these files before opening them slows down my productivity considerably. I am a paying Dropbox user and now need to use it daily on an iPad. Unfortunately this App is not fit for purpose, and I am led to believe that Dropbox have no intention of fixing this issue. I will therefore have to move my business to another cloud service.

Ben C.19
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Wow. I thought I was just being technology challenged with the long file name issue (by long file name... I don't mean long... just anything over, say, 12 characters).

This really is weird that it's not fixed. 😐

I did have a look at that Readdle app mentioned, but looks like you need to download a bunch of things - generally I avoid that preferring to use online. Oh well. So much for trying to use my iPad for everything 🙂

lcsv
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I found this thread after getting extremely aggravated trying to quickly find a Dropbox file on my iPad.  After reading all of the comments and coming to the realization that there is no fix for this seemingly simple to fix problem (and it doesn't look like anyone at Dropbox cares), I found an app called 'File Manager' and it's free.  It worked for displaying my full dropbox file names.  Not sure it would work for a business but, for a personal user, it did the trick.  It's sad that Dropbox is forcing us to go to third party applications instead of just fixing the problem.  

jhsueh
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am unable to read the longer file names that I've uploaded onto Dropbox. Even when I turn my iPad to landscape format, it is still not able to read them completely. Is there a way to re-adjust that so it is possible? 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
No there isnt I'm afraid.

It is (annoyingly), however, a commonly requested feature.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

lascafeteras
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We are having the same issue some of you have been having for years. Dropbox what's the word? 

Steven B.31
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I think the short to medium term solution is the new Files app in iOS 11.  🙂

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-11-preview/

(edit to add:  As an immediate bandaid fix, I suggest Readdle's Documents app.)

Need more support?