cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: Reinstalling Dropbox. Now I'm limited to 3 devices.

Level 5
i am switching to mega nz

Level 5

the individual plan dropbox pro is $10 a month, that's $120 a  year,  too much. If dropbox would have a $20 a year plan like google, i will be happy to subscribe. And I am transferring my files to mega nz.Speak No Evil

Highlighted

Does reinstalling dropbox on a previous linked device count as a new device?

Level 2

I had to reinstall my mac os (another story), and afterwards I reinstalled the dropbox but found that now I have exceeded the 3 device limit. Although I can see my computer in the list of "linked device", it seems it's still regarded as a new device? Thank you.

Re: Does reinstalling dropbox on a previous linked device count as a new device?

Dropboxer

Hey there @Jiajuan  - how are you today?

Could you post a screenshot of how this looks like on your end (omitting personal information) so that I can get a better understanding of the matter at hand? 

Could you maybe unlink the old instance of your device by clicking on the "X" next to the device's name and then try re-linking it anew? 

Any additional information will be much appreciated!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Does reinstalling dropbox on a previous linked device count as a new device?

Level 2

wow this is fast! slightly smiling face

Yes please see the attached sceenshots. The one showing "current device" is actually one of the old linked devices (in second screenshot; it has the same name; circled in red).

I can't unlink and relink, because I have more than 3 linked devices I want to keep slightly smiling face, as probably can be seen on the screenshot. So I guess my question is more like, can a previous linked device be re-linked after reinstallation regardless of the device-limit policy?

Either way thank you for the fast response.Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 4.04.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-04-15 at 4.06.20 PM.png

Dropboxer

Thanks for the swift response as well @Jiajuan!

As you're now exceeding the maximum of 3 devices linked, I'm afraid this won't be possible. 

Once unlinked, in order to be able to relink the device you’re having issues with, you will need to reduce the total number of devices on your account to below 3.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear but I hope it helps clarify matters. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

You're right, this is not what I wanted to hear but what I expected to hear anyways slightly smiling face

Good day.

Level 2

I've been a dropbox user for years and years.  I've gotten lots of bonus storage from promotions when buying phones and from getting others to sign up for dropbox.  It was a good solution that included a local synced folder on my windows and mac machines.  Now, I'm replacing one of my devices with a new one and the only way to sync is to ditch several of my other devices.  It's not worth it to continue my use of dropbox when limited to 3 devices.  Good service, but not competative.  I'm already migrating all of my dropbox files to Google Drive.  You've lost me as a customer and all who I would have done IT work for.

Level 6
You and me both.....
I am looking in IT an alternative now

Level 2

I had a logic board failure on my Mac Mini, and after getting it fixed, I did a time machine restore, and now Dropbox won't link without me removing old devices.  I use it on way more than three devices, forcing me in to a Dropbox plan.  I'm in the same category as most, there are cheaper/free alternatives that I'll move to.  I'd be happy to pay a small fee just to relink a device, but I'm not going to add one more monthly fee to my bills, however small it may be.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Reinstalling Dropbox. Now I'm limited to 3 devices.
48 Replies
47 Likes
Solved! : See solution