cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing Dropbox with Virtual Machine

Sharing Dropbox with Virtual Machine

db16v
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

Here's my scenario:

1. MacBook Pro (500GB HD)

2. VMware Fusion 10

3. Windows 10 Pro virtual machine (40GB HD)

4. Enterprise Dropbox

*** I'm looking for some best practices from Dropbox ***

Given the limited disk space on my virtual machine, my thought was to install DB on my MacBook and share, or "mirror", the MacBook folders using Fusion which includes the DB folder.

Is this scenario supported? What is Dropbox's recommendation in this scenario?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, we cannot indicate whether this would work fully as expected as this is third party software and may have unexpected configurations. 

We do have some general recommendations that may help.

For Dropbox to work correctly, it needs to be installed in an OS that is not part of a Shared Session. If installing into a virtual environment, it would need to be installed into a user account that is part of this virtual desktop or virtual machine and only accessed by that user account. 

The Dropbox folder should also be located on the same mounted drive that is running the virtual machine or virtual desktop.

Please be aware that if you install Dropbox on a virtual machine or virtual desktop that are non-persistent, such that they are reset on a schedule or after logging off, Dropbox may be logged out and need to resync everytime this occurs.

I hope this information helps! 

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there, we cannot indicate whether this would work fully as expected as this is third party software and may have unexpected configurations. 

We do have some general recommendations that may help.

For Dropbox to work correctly, it needs to be installed in an OS that is not part of a Shared Session. If installing into a virtual environment, it would need to be installed into a user account that is part of this virtual desktop or virtual machine and only accessed by that user account. 

The Dropbox folder should also be located on the same mounted drive that is running the virtual machine or virtual desktop.

Please be aware that if you install Dropbox on a virtual machine or virtual desktop that are non-persistent, such that they are reset on a schedule or after logging off, Dropbox may be logged out and need to resync everytime this occurs.

I hope this information helps! 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

db16v
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'll take it a step back and ask a simpler question so I can better understand the "sharing" reference.

My organization has an Enterprise dropbox with approximately 20 users. Each associate has a MacBooks.  Each associate has installed the Dropbox client under our respective macbook user account.

We share DB files in this scenario. Is this scenario supported?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
That’s the normal Dropbox Business experience, where all users are part of the same team, sharing quota among themselves and able to share files in folders and team folders.

However, the shared session in a virtual machine refers to something completely different. Namely, a shared session, once you log out of the VM or computer, will revert to the way it was when you started it up.

A persistent session will save changes whenever you close the VM, and any changes made to the OS in the VM will be kept.

Long story short, a shared session acts like a ‘guest account’ on a normal computer, any changes you make are forgotten when you logout. A persistent session is a ‘user account’ on a normal computer and any changes are saved each time you logout.

More explanations on this can be found on the VMware site, or other VM sites in general.

Hope this clarifies matters!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    db16v New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?