cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: SmartSync - Windows Search does not find online files, by name

Smart Sync - Windows Explorer Search Not Working

bwhight
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am testing Smart Sync for our team.  All fine but when files are 'Online Only', Windows Explorer search can't fined them.  I have tried a few PCs in our team and all have the same problem, so I dont think it is an individual PC issue.  We are all running Windows 10.  Any ideas?

55 Replies 55

kmarcel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

After SmartSync was introduced, most of our files are online only.

Today i needed to find a folder location for a named like file. 

I started searching a "like filename" in the Browse for files dialog of a browser, in the Dropbox folder. It found nothing. I relaxed the search, it found 2 files, not what i knew existed. I said - ok - the search is now broken in dialogs or DropBox paused.

Trying again with an Explorer window and DropBox active, same result.

I ended up going online, to search for the files. For 15 seconds, DropBox online showed exactly the same files as on my PC, but left an end placeholder. After time, it populated the correct results with all files and i found the needed folder name. 

I personally split the search concept into - file properties, metadata and file content. Ok, the file is online, and has no content. Same with metadata. But Explorer knows file properties - file name, real size, dates and attributes. 

How do i get Windows Search to index at least the names of the files that are online?

Thanks,

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @kmarcel! I’ve moved your post here since it seems to be similar to what other users are reporting. 

As Ross S. mentions in their previous post, we’re currently looking into it. If you’d like, due to account-specific info required, you can contact our Support team via email so as to have a more in-depth look into this. 

Cheers! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Lucio
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Windows search functionality, that allows finding files set to online-only through the Smart Sync feature, is now available on computers with versions of Windows 8 and above, starting with the beta version 60.3 of the Dropbox desktop application that you can find here.

When this is available in the stable version 60.4 next week, your computer should automatically update and receive the fix.

Thanks to all that reported this and we appreciate your patience on this matter.

Happy syncing!

Positive vibe!

JR_Baas
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

What about Windows 7?  Is there going to be a fix for that as well?

mxoh
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@Lucio Are you sure it is fixed? I am on Windows 10 and it still doesn't work for files and only folders.

SteveWeston
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Oh drats.  You are right mxoh.  Its now finding online-only folders, but not online-only files.  Still not fixed.  Lucio, can you please advise?

Lucio
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks @mxoh and @SteveWeston for your reports. I'm currently investigating what could be happening since the solution should work for files and folders, and we have already received positive feedback from a lot of users as well. Would it be possible for you to submit a support request with a few screenshots and mentioning this thread so that we can take a closer look?

Also, I'd like to point out that the Windows search functionality, that allows finding files set to online-only through the Smart Sync feature, is only available on computers with versions of Windows 8 and above.

This means that if you're using the search capabilities of a Windows 7 computer, you won't be able to find online only files and folders in the results. This is something outside of our control since this particular version of Windows OS doesn't provide the functionality required to search and find placeholder files.

You can always use Dropbox.com to search and find all of your files. But if it's imperative for you to use your Windows OS capabilities, you can upgrade your OS to a newer version.

Positive vibe!

Richard P.44
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi Lucio

I'm getting the same issue - since dropbox updated to 60.4.107 - new files dont show up on a search. Using Windows 8.1

Is there a way of rolling back to earlier versions>

Richard

Richard P.44
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi Any news on this - I've reported it to support but not had any fix

Richard P.44
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi

I've managed to reinstall Beta 60.3.89 and the search function works fine - so later updates must have overwritten

If you do this need to delete the Dropboxupdater.exe file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Update or else it updates you back up to the latest version

Let us know when the latest version is corrected

thanks

Richard

Need more support?