cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync and Quick Preview on Mac

Smart Sync and Quick Preview on Mac

Andrew-RFLB
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Smart Sync causes my quick preview function (spacebar) to not function properly on my Mac. I can't preview thumbnails, or quick preview any videos or photos. Any ideas why this happens?

147 Replies 147

lconoval
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

im confused. My files are not appearing on my alternative computer at home. I save it to the dropbox file on my computer in the office but when i get home it is not here on this computer at home.  For me, that was the point of dropbox so that i could share my files to both my locations.  what am i doing wrong ?  thanks Linda 

CNowell
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@lconoval This might be related to your selective sync settings if you're a business user or by just not having those files chosen to store locally on your machine (which may not have those specific files specifically loaded on your other computer). If those files show up in your browser view, not the desktop app, the odds are very good you have some folders deselected on your other machine. Might be worthwhile to start a new ticket with your machine's details rather than posting here to get the help you need— we're all having issues with Quicklook in OSX here.

@Mark If anyone is able to mark a problem as a solution, that seems kind of counter productive to the whole purpose of catalogging something as "solved" on a forum, where other's are actively looking for answers. I've just put in a ticket and referenced this forum post, but I'm starting to get a little disheartened with Norah going MIA. This whole forum process just seems incredibly counterintuitive to what a support forum should do— help people find, diagnose and hopefully fix their problems.

Again, everyone, I've got (another) support request in, and if I hear anything worthwhile, I'll post back here.

TangoDB
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi there, after reading the issue above, I am not sure whether it’s solved?

I wanted to change my subscription from Plus to Pro but this is also a deal breaker for me as I do use lots of Quick Preview.

Can Someone from Dropbox Please respond? Tks

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey TangoDB, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community on this question, let me clarify matters in a bit more detail below & we’ll take it from there! 

It’s my understanding that you’re referring to this thread here, which could’ve triggered your inquiry. (Note: If so, then you may keep in mind that I’ve slightly modified the flow there by un-accepting the previous Solution & accepting Rich’s comment as a Solution instead, which best describes what’s happening.)

Simply put, currently it’s not possible to preview your Smart-synced files on your Mac, as these are only markers of the original files, which you can preview online (i.e. assuming that they’re supported). 

Based on a search I run on my end, I could see that the issue you reported is something our development team is currently aware of and investigating further. The issue appears to be related to an interaction between the Smart Sync feature and OS file explorer behavior as we attempt to sync previews of the files. 

We do not have a current timeline I can provide on improvements to this behavior, though for the time being our higher-level technicians are aware of this behavior & are working on a resolution. 

Hopefully this addresses your Smart sync-specific question, though please let me know if you need further assistance& I’ll follow-up with you as closely as possible! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

TangoDB
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Jane, 

Thank you for your prompt reply, most appreciated. I am more concern with other local disk file preview than the Sync Dropbox file. I know you cannot preview files that is not sync down to the local drive. 

I will hold the upgrade till this is resolved. Thank you and appreciate if you would let me know once it's resolved so I can upgrade to Pro. Cheers

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
As an initial point of reference, you may refer back on the client changelog posted here when it comes to the most recent changes in our desktop app, though I’ve also made a note of your request & I’ll circle back here if I have an update on the progress. 

Happy Dropboxing ahead & thanks for taking the time to share your interest on our Forum; please don’t hesitate to get back in touch at any time in case you need assistance or you have more questions. Until we talk again, take care & have a wonderful rest of your day!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

jessee
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

::In Response to the So Called Solution::

Did you not read any of the comments written here?

We are repeatedly describing how you can have a file selected in finder and SEE a preview, then scrolling down through the list, using the down arrows or mouse, and then scrolling back up and the file is no longer previewing. And then no files previewing. Your explanation just ignores everything we are trying to get an answer for. It's very frustrating to get an email notification that this problem has been solved only to find a negligent answer that in truth feels condescending.

annienar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I completely agree, we've been really clear about what the issue is, and time after time, the answer we get doesn't address the actual issue, I think all of us understand that it's not going to preview files you haven't downloaded, but the problem we have is that we lose the preview for files that aren't even on dropbox, it's insulting the way they don't even read our comments.

Ckrupinsky
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Did you happen to find a work around for this?

CNowell
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Ckrupinsky No workaround that was shared with me in my last round of support emails, but spoke with Tony at support and this was the response I received (I've condensed this for the sake of brevity): 

"The team was already aware that the problem was with Smart Sync, and they understood what you meant. I can assure you they are looking into the issue, but there's not much more you and I can do at the moment."

So I guess my question is, why hasn't this been addressed as a "Known Bug" on the Support home (this thread's been open for months...)? Hopefully we hear something soon.

While I would love to keep updating this thread, I have a funny feeling it's being ignored due to it being labeled as "solved?" Probably best for everyone here to start a new thread specifically detailing their problem in hopes that enough commotion will kick start a fix. Even better— create that new forum thread and post a link to that new thread here to further connect the problem.

Need more support?