Highlighted
Level 2

Smart Sync folders and files not showing as online only or local MAC

Mac desktop
Smart Sync folders and files not showing as online only or local 
I downloaded dropbox. 
Paid to have smart sync
and then expect it will show me a copy of my files on dropbox offline
Problem , its shows 4 of 100 folders and files.

Problem : its not showing an offline copy of my folders and files
annoying when you paid for the feature.

4 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: Smart Sync folders and files not showing as online only or local MAC

Hey there (@srsjason), thanks for reaching out on our Community; I’ll do my best to help you clarify your initial query & troubleshoot the cause of any issues you’re facing. 

In order to do so, can you please clarify whether you’re missing the Smart Sync icons on your desktop or you’d like your Smart synced files to be available while you’re working offline? 

#1. If the former is closer to what you’re seeing, then I’d suggest ensuring that you’re running the latest stable version of the application on your Mac (62.4.103), you’ve made all OS updates & you’re not using Symlinks? It’s also advisable to make sure Dropbox is syncing correctly on your menu bar, as below: 

menu-bar.png

That essentially means that once you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon, you’ll see the syncing status (eg. Up-To-Date, Indexing &c). You can also have a look at the overlay icons on your device Arrows Counter Clock/ White check mark/ ☁️. Do they appear as expected?  

#2. If you’re facing an issue loading our syncing icons, I’d recommend restarting your device & (from there) try unlinking & relinking your account on your desktop once, as it recreates the local database

#3. If you’d like to access your online-only files when you’re offline, then you can easily get going with that by right-clicking on the file and choosing Local from the Smart Sync menu. The full contents of the file will be synced to your computer’s hard drive so you can work offline.

I hope that this addresses your initial inquiry & please do let me know here in case you have any more questions or I’ve misunderstood your initial description & I’ll follow-up asap. Thanks for choosing Dropbox & I'm wishing you a wonderful Friday Jason!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5

I am having so many problems with dropbox that I've never had over the years of using it effortlessly...since I upgraded to "smartsync".

In short it just doesnt work.

Every time I install 62.4.103 (yes everytime, you'd think you'd only have to install it once) it somehow reverts back to 63.3.98, which is supposed to be beta version. God knows how I got a beta version anyway.

I've deleted the app, and reinstalled it. It never completes the syncing, and consequently updated files don't show up on other computers.

I've been back and forth via the online chat tech support...to no avail.

SmartSync is DumbSync. So far it's been a waste of tons of time and definitely money.

Extremely disappointing.

Dropboxer

Hey @Richpal, what you’re describing isn’t how we’d like to shape your experience with Dropbox. Now that I have a bit more background on the issue, let me follow-up from the details you’ve included in your last message; rest assured that I’m here to help you as much as possible! 

As a first step to isolate the behavior, I’d highly recommend that you install our latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application. 

To do this, you will first need to follow these steps to verify that you have opted out of "Include me in early releases" option in your settings on Dropbox.com. This will ensure that the application does not automatically update to the beta build after you install the latest stable build:

Go to the “General" tab on your account online, scroll down to the section titled "Preferences" and uncheck the box next to "Include me in early releases" if it is checked.

From there, please install our latest stable version of the Dropbox desktop application. 

I’m also wondering whether you’re using Symlinks, as this type of configuration isn’t supported (& I’m merely mentioning that as a possible cause of the discrepancy you’re seeing, since you’ve mentioned that syncing doesn’t complete).

Please do let me know of how you get on with these steps on this discussion & I’ll do my best to check back with you!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5

Re: Smart sync doesn't work...

@Nonoémie wrote:

Hi all,

I have a 2To dropbox plan and all my files are configured "online" with smart sync.

Though it still takes all the space on my local hd, and my Macbook (El Capitan) has a hard time working in these conditions. 

I had signedup for this plan to get freed from space issues and now I feel stuck.

Please help me fix that.

Hey there...I signed up for Smart Sync hoping that it would save space on my computer. It actually lost me space, and my hard drive is all used up. I've ended up buying a new computer to get a bigger hard disk.

I've had nothing but problems since I converted to Smart Sync...reinstalled the app, contact with tech support, you name it...and it still doesnt work.

At this stage its been waste of time and money....they should rename it Dumb Sync.,

Good luck with your problems with it.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Installation and desktop app issues.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post