cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [Solved] Dropbox installed on my mac but it won't open and other problems.

[Solved] Dropbox installed on my mac but it won't open and other problems.

Amber J.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Ok I just switch from a pc to a mac. I installed dropbox from the website and it shows it's in my applications and in my launch pad but when I click the icon it won't launch. I then tried to uninstall it and it doesn't give me that option when I have all my apps wiggling in my launch pad. So I then researched on how to uninstall and I found that I can pull up finder and drag and drop the application to the trash. When I do that I get a message "The item “Dropbox” can’t be moved to the Trash because it’s open.". So then I try and force quit Dropbox and it isn't listed to be forces closed. So I am assuming it isn't running? Help I just want it off my computer. I don't like items on my computer if I don't or can't use them.

Info on my Mac
OS X Yosemite version 10.10

Please remember that any help that is given I need step by step instructions. I've only had my mac for 2 weeks and I am still learning.

32 Replies 32

Roland H.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi,

I can't put the dropbox's icon in the lauchpad ? Can you tell me : is it impossible ? Or what can can I do to put it on.

I'm sorry to speak and write a so bad english

Thanks for your answer and best regards

Roland

Eric E.19
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thank you, new to MAC and couldn't figure it out!

Sabrina N.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Ditto! Looked everywhere, never thought to look there, why the hell does it go there??? Thank you, Amber!

suzanne v.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have been paying 109.00 a year for dropbox and I cannot open it on my mac, why is it so complicated, it is just an app, why am I paying if it does not work. How do I get in touch with dropbox, I will not renew this app.

Amber J.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Did did you see the icon in the top right corner next to the wifi signal? I don't use Dropbox but to show clients their photos from their photo session. 

David L.66
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I can open and read my word and excel documents but I can't write into those existing documents on my apple computer 

Can someone help me please 

Thank you 

David 

Armen A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks Amber, would never have noticed it sitting at the top there. How strange! Was doing my head in!

Notned116
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I click on the ico a menu opens with all my documents BUT I CANNOT OPEN ANY OF THEM! I have to open a "new finder windwo" and find the old dropbox in the side menu and open the documents that way. This HAS ONLY JUST HAPPENED A FEW DAYS AGO so what on earth has changed? And WHY?  It was fine before - you clicked on the icon and the box opened with all the files there - now I just get an elegant window but nothing opens.

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Notned116,

As a first troubleshooting step, please go to www.dropbox.com/downloading and let the automatic installer download and install the Dropbox app on your computer. In case you have the latest installed, please still go through this process so the version will be refreshed. Then restart your machine.

If the installation fails or the issue persists, so that our support team can investigate more on this, please go to www.dropbox.com/support and submit a ticket request providing a screenshot of what you see failing.

Thank you!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

HumphreyTBear
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you so much for this. I just switched to Mac from a PC, and not being able to open DropBox was driving me nuts. 

Need more support?