cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Solved] Dropbox installed on my mac but it won't open and other problems.

[Solved] Dropbox installed on my mac but it won't open and other problems.

Amber J.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Ok I just switch from a pc to a mac. I installed dropbox from the website and it shows it's in my applications and in my launch pad but when I click the icon it won't launch. I then tried to uninstall it and it doesn't give me that option when I have all my apps wiggling in my launch pad. So I then researched on how to uninstall and I found that I can pull up finder and drag and drop the application to the trash. When I do that I get a message "The item “Dropbox” can’t be moved to the Trash because it’s open.". So then I try and force quit Dropbox and it isn't listed to be forces closed. So I am assuming it isn't running? Help I just want it off my computer. I don't like items on my computer if I don't or can't use them.

Info on my Mac
OS X Yosemite version 10.10

Please remember that any help that is given I need step by step instructions. I've only had my mac for 2 weeks and I am still learning.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Amber J.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Never MIND! I figured it out. When I click dropbox to open it it just puts up in the menu bar next to the bluetooth and wifi icons. I then click that and see all my files. I was expecting it open up like a window or app. I was then able to quit the application from the icon up at the top of the menu bar. Good cause now I don't have to uninstall it. I really thought Dropbox wasn't working.

View solution in original post

32 Replies 32

Amber J.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Never MIND! I figured it out. When I click dropbox to open it it just puts up in the menu bar next to the bluetooth and wifi icons. I then click that and see all my files. I was expecting it open up like a window or app. I was then able to quit the application from the icon up at the top of the menu bar. Good cause now I don't have to uninstall it. I really thought Dropbox wasn't working.

William G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

.. New mac user here too. You just saved me a lot of hassle! Thanks - haha

Craig C.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thank you man.. New Mac user here to and I never look at the top bar... I kept clicking that damn icon and it never opened.. I guess it was up there the entire time I have been trying to adjust my selective sync.. thanks again.

Amanda Harmon
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

SO helpful! Thanks so much for the answer.
ALSO, I just clicked the icon on the menu bar. In the dropdown there's a house icon that does open up DropBox in a folder window.

Lillian V.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thank for the info.  I also could not open it.  New Mac user,  you forget to look up. Thanks again for the help.

Michael K.134
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

You saved me a load of time too 

Amber J.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Your all welcome! I'm just glad I was able to figure it out! 😊

George I.4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

Please cann somebody help me ?. After the upgrade to El Capitan, Dropbox simply does not open. I have already tried everything I know i.e. reinstall it, reinstall OS X, with not success. Its icon does not appear on the menu bar, and by clicking to its icon in the Applications folder it flashes and the pop-up appears.

Thank you for your time

George

Heather Z.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

hahahahaha me too! thank you

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Armen A. New member | Level 1
    David L.66 New member | Level 1
    Amber J. New member | Level 1