cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sort by name, folders first

Sort by name, folders first

Alexey S.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Lately my sorting has been screwed up on web version of Dropbox. My files & folders are sorted alphabetically. What I really want is sorting by name, grouping by kind so that folders are displayed first (sorted by name) followed by files sorted by name. Please advise me on how to do that? Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

tdmalone
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thanks for this! But it only appears to be a temporary fix...for as long as you have the developer tools window open...

Yes that's true. An alternative is to install a user agent switching plugin. I can't vouch for any, but something like this: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg

View solution in original post

dvmierlo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Alphabetical sorting of files and folders on a Mac is a personal preference. OS X provides an option to the user to keep the folders on top.

Regadless of the platform or application, the user should always have this option.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Very odd, the default display is folders first followed by files. are you resorting via clicking no the NAME column?

Alexey S.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Looks like this is only happening when I'm on a Mac. It must try to behave same way Finder does.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Ahhhhh thats a interesting bit of info, I would agree with you, they must be detecting the browser type and assuming mac users want mac formating.

Cali V.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

On iPhone or iPad DB does not discern between files and folders, so de app arranges them in sctrictly alphabetical order. This is very annoying when trying to find something withing a folder one creater to get "order".

Ross W.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Yes, I prefer Folders sorted first then files. How can I do this. Please make it possible. 

Seth B.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I just started using a mac for the first time at work and I'm having this same problem.  Really frustrating that there isn't a sort by type option.

Igor O.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Just add +1 to this feature request - this is very usual on all platforms to have folders sorted alphabetically, then files.

joff h.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem here. I have Windows 10 on an HP and the sort order when looking at Dropbox on the Web is "all folders and files together" in name order: I would also much prefer to see folders first like in Windows File Manager! I have raised the issue with Dropbox through feeback and bee brushed off.

joff h.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

(duplicated comment)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Maxim K.3 New member | Level 2
    Armand B. New member | Level 1
    Alan M.11 New member | Level 1
    Mladen J. Explorer | Level 4
    joff h. New member | Level 1