Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Store ALL files on mobile device for offline use

Level 1

Is it possible to store all my Dropbox files on my android device so that they are available for offline viewing. I basically want similar functionality to the Mac/PC client on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S. I've tried the Samsung DocumentSync facility for this but following the initial sync it only updates from the tablet to Dropbox & not the other way around so hopeless really.

Is there any difference between the basic & pro accounts with regard to how the files are stored? In Evernote the basic account downloads on demand when a connection is available whereas the pro version caches the lot & updates when a connection becomes available, which is what I want from Dropbox.

60 Replies

Re: Store ALL files on mobile device for offline use

Super User II

The only way to store all files on a mobile device for offline use is to mark each one as a Favorite. There is no difference between the Basic and Pro accounts regarding this.

Why can't you just people select a folder for offline access on android devices???????????

Please do not insult my intelligence with technical reasons why you cannot do that - becasue there are no technical reasons why you cannot do that.

So whats the political reason?

Level 1

Good evening Kevin,

Your reply (as useless as it was) leads me to believe that perhaps you're having a bad day, or maybe your mini rant is the result of too much caffeine. Either way - chill the f@#k out. If you've nothing useful to post that may assist with a query, it might be better not to post at all. As for insulting your intelligence with technical reasons, I won't - as it is abundantly clear from your post that you have little to insult.

For your information, the response I received from Rich R (& the Dropbox technical support team) were both correct & helpful - unlike yours.

Kind regards

John

Good Evening John,

Your reply (as useless as it was) leads me to believe that you are really quite stupid (are you American?).

Being passionate about something is perfectly reasonable. Swearing in an community shows you to be a person of little intellect and even less moral fibre. Anyone, including children, could well read your profanity, so please keep your gutter mouth closed.

If you cannot talk without using profanity, perhaps you should not post at all.

It is slightly (massively) ironic that your comment of " If you've nothing useful to post that may assist with a query, it might be better not to post at all." is also completely hypocritical in that you are doing exactly what you accuse me of doing.

Doh!

I am glad the response you received from Rich et al was "helpful". Perhaps you can share with is the method by which thousands of people can do what they want - namely to mark a folder as offline instead of having to click on individual files.

I suspect that you don't know how to do that though since Dropbox doesn't allow it, and so the "helpful" information you received was actually - you can't do that, but you can click on each individual file - bummer!

With my very best and warmest regards,
Kevin.

Level 1

Hi Rich R. and John W.

I have same desire as John W. and have been enjoying the marvellous benefits of Sugar Sync for their out-of-the-box feature that saves your files on every device you use (obviously with the exception of an iThing)

Not being a commercial user, my 5Gb trial has finished and I'm forced back here.

I will try the "mark each one as a Favorite" and see how I go - but - it would be SO nice to have the functionality out-of-the-box, not as an add-on / hard-to-find option.

Henry

Level 1

You can export your files to various places, including your SD cards.  I have used this to copy files to my SDCard 01 as I have plenty of space there.

It would be a useful feature if the DropBox app would allow us to specify where the offline favourites are stored.

Roger.

Level 5

How to export the whole folder? How to select multiple files?

Level 1

On an Android device using the Dropbox app you can select multiple files by long-tapping the filename.  (Hold your finger on the filename for about a second).  You can then move, copy or mark for off-line use the selected files.

Files downloaded for offline viewing are stored on SDCard 0, their location is a bit obscure, but you can get to them by doing a search.  I use ES File Explorer.

Level 1

Correction to my last post - once you've selected multiple files you can only delete, make available offline or move them.

This needs fixing, and we need the facility to specify where offline files are stored.

Also you can't select multiple files when viewing offline files.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Store ALL files on mobile device for offline use
60 Replies
111 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post