Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

3 Comments
0 Likes
Highlighted

Strange effect when upgrading to Dropbox Business

I just switched from a personal account to a trial of Dropbox Business. We're about to commit the whole company to DB Business and I'd first like to be clear on what I'm seeing in my own account.

First of all, as a result of the switch, Dropbox created a new folder with my company name included. It's "ACW Dropbox". Below that is another folder with my name, "David Rosenblatt", and I can see that its contents are what used to be in my old personal "Dropbox" folder. No problem there.

Now, I see that my old "Dropbox" folder still exists, but it's now some kind of symbolic link to "ACW Dropbox\David Rosenblatt". That's fine, too -- it means that I (and eventually my team members) can continue to use the same paths to get to our files.

But here's what I don't understand: When I look at the Windows properties of "Dropbox" I see 103,000 files taking up 69GB of on-disk space. But when I look at the properties of "ACW Dropbox\David Rosenblatt", I see only 52,000 files taking up 28GB of on-disk space.  

Is this a Windows issue? Does it include the size of even off-line files when you're checking symbolic link properties, but not when your checking properties of a "real" folder?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
3 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: Strange effect when upgrading to Dropbox Business

Hey there @djrosenblatt!

The first thought that popped into my head would be to check for Smart Sync and selective sync settings, as well as for any incompatible characters by running a bad files check

I’d also kindly recommend checking this article out for some additional info that may be relevant to your concern. 

Let me know if you’re still having some trouble with this or if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Thanks, Lusil,

I wouldn't call it a problem, just something to raise eyebrows over.

The article doesn't really say much except to confirm that "Dropbox" is now a symlink, no longer a folder. And, in my case, it points to "ACW Dropbox/David Rosenblatt", a subfolder of the new Dropbox.

All my files seem to be there. I don't use Selective Sync or SmartSync, and a random check through my new Dropbox indicates that all the files are online (that is, on disk).

So the mystery remains, but I won't worry about it unless and until I see problems.

And FYI, I have now upgraded both of my laptops to Dropbox Business, and they both display the exact same results: about 50K files in "ACW Dropbox/David Rosenblatt", and nearly double that number in "Dropbox". But that's Windows doing the reporting, and I suspect it's with Windows that the problem lies.
Dropboxer

Hmm. thinking face If you’d like to further investigate it, I’d initially recommend contacting the OS provider (maybe they’ll have more info on the matter) and, if you’re still having trouble with it, let me know how it goes and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible!

Do keep me posted, @djrosenblatt!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Installation and desktop app issues.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post