Stuck on "starting"

SOLVED
Go to solution
12 Comments
1 Kudo
Highlighted
Level 2

Stuck on "starting"

I just got a new computer issued at work today. first thing I did at 11:15 this morning was install dropbox. It's been "starting" now for about 4 hours. I intentionally disabled selective sync for everything but a few folders with lightweight txt files in it so there's no reason for it to be taking this long. My work dropbox has about 40+ Tb worth of data in it but I'm only trying to get at a couple megs of it. What can I do to speed this up?

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Super User II

Re: Stuck on "starting"

Even though you're not syncing it all, Dropbox likely still needs to build its database which will contain information about all the files in your account, and not just those that you're syncing. With 40TB of data, that process will take a while.

There's no way to speed up any of Dropbox's processes. All you can do is just let it work.

12 Replies
Solution
Super User II

Even though you're not syncing it all, Dropbox likely still needs to build its database which will contain information about all the files in your account, and not just those that you're syncing. With 40TB of data, that process will take a while.

There's no way to speed up any of Dropbox's processes. All you can do is just let it work.

Dropboxer

Hey @mlaw

Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community? You can access the survey here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT

Thank you!

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

Level 4

"There's no way to speed up any of Dropbox's processes. All you can do is just let it work."

This is the standard response to the fact that Dropbox is a buggy piece of crap. A properly implemented sync client does not take hours to start then turns red and says that it can't access my Dropbox folder and asks for my password -- the Dropbox folder is owned by me, in folder owned by me, and dropbox is running as me. And then after I enter my password, it says "starting..." again and probably will do so for hours and then fail. I'm a good programmer with over 50 years of experience and I don't write crap like this and I know that crap like this is not acceptable.

The reason that Dropbox is starting is because I had to restart it after hung for hours, loading no files but with a tooltip saying that it was processing at over 6MB/sec with 17 secconds to go ... lord knows what that time means, whehn it still had hundreds of thousands of files to download. This is incompetent, buggy crap.

Before Dropbox hung for hours, it managed to download 40GB in a DAY.  This is buggy incompetent crap.

Dropbox has said for years that performance "declines" if you have more than 300,000 files ... they have never explained why and have never fixed this. Properly designed sync clients don't have this limitation. Dropbox's "solution" is selective sync, which is no solution at all. And selective sync deletes the local files (but not all of them!). There's no way to move the files elsewhere, turn on selective sync, then move them back and sync ... Dropbox insists on reloading everything. Properly designed sync systems don't work like that.

Dropboxer

Hey @Jim B.45,

Sorry to hear about this - let's see into this together!

First of, are you running the latest stable version of our desktop application (47.4.74)? If not,  you can find it here

Another quick question to help with this: are you having the Dropbox Folder on your main HDD - meaning the one where your operating system resides as well? 

Note that your user account must have permission to write to the desired location and that the drive must be in the correct format to avoid such errors. You can see more about this here!

As per your last query,  it is indeed true that the performance of the desktop app might decline should you have more than 300,000 files. This is a soft limit and depends highly on the hardware specifications of the computer running the Dropbox application. You can always try to improve the performance of individual computers, by using selective sync to select only certain files to sync to that specific computer. In any case, you'll still be able to access all of your files from dropbox.com or other devices linked to your account.

Note: This limit is related to the number of files, not to their size. Generally speaking, Dropbox accounts with a large number of files may take longer to sync but a delay in syncing or a prolonged sync is not necessarily a sign of a problem.  Usually, adjusting your bandwidth settings may increase your sync speed.

I hope this helps and please let us know what you find so we can get to the bottom of what is going on here. 

Rainbow Did you like my answer? Hit the "Kudos" to let me know! Rainbow

White check mark Found my post helpful? Feel free to 'Accept as Solution"  below so other users can find it quickly! White check mark

Level 7

I too have Dropbox stuck on "Starting" in Kubuntu 14.04. But what's worse is that my machine (HP Pavilion) soon gets wedged altogether -- so wedged that I can't even start a virtual console with Alt-Ctl-F2. That might or might not have anything to do with Dropbox, but it seems to happen only during Dropbox startup. I've installed Dropbox on other laptops, and although it sometimes takes a few minutes to start and a day or to to finish syncing, this seems much worse.
Level 4

"let's see into this together!"

Cut the patronizing crap. I've been writing software for over 50 years and can "see into this" just fine.

"As per your last query"

Which you didn't read. Again:

"Dropbox has said for years that performance "declines" if you have more than 300,000 files ... they have never explained why and have never fixed this. Properly designed sync clients don't have this limitation. Dropbox's "solution" is selective sync, which is no solution at all. And selective sync deletes the local files (but not all of them!). There's no way to move the files elsewhere, turn on selective sync, then move them back and sync ... Dropbox insists on reloading everything. Properly designed sync systems don't work like that."

So don't go telling me yet again to use"selective sync", which is just another way of saying "don't sync all your files". I want to sync all my files. Properly designed sync systems don't have these problems. People have been complaining about this "soft limit" for years, but Dropbox has never explained why it has so much trouble with large numbers of files. And don't go explaining  "This limit is related to the number of files, not to their size" as if I were some imbecile. The problem isn't with me, it's with Dropbox.

"what is going on here"

I told you what is going on here ... the client is buggy crap. It should not fall to pieces when there are lots of files, and it should never sit there for hours with a tooltip that says "6,000 KB/sec, 17 sec left" with no data being transferred.

After several restarts and a relink, Dropbox finally decided to start transferring my files, but I have no faith in it continuing to function, and will be switching to another sync service.

@Walt3R
Level 7

It seems to have gottrrn unstuck, although the transfer is going painfully slowly (maybe 100 files an hour).  And that's to my primary HDD.

Dropboxer

Hey @Paul A.25

I hope it works out for you, but if this persists, go ahead and write in to our team so we can take a closer look. 

Have a great week ahead! 

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

Level 7

Dropbox has gotten unstuck, but it's restoring my local Dropbox image very slowly -- at a rate of about 8 kilobytes/sec.  This is likely due to a bad interaction between my particular laptop and Dropbox.  I've also had lockups during the attempted restoration that forced me to reboot.  On the other hand, I've installed Dropbox on several other machines, and although it often took a full day of computation to finish, it always ran smoothly.

At the moment I'm letting the restoration proceed without anything else going on.  Once it's completed I'll be able to investigate any other difficulties withouth having to contend with Dropbox restoring files in the background.

Still stuck? Contact Support directly, or ask a question on the community.
Still stuck?
Top Contributors
Rich 5125
Mark 3813
Jane 1095
Tom_M 880
Sanchez 834