cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Desktop App - Remaining Time Not Showing

Time Left in Sync has been removed from the desktop app

mcfinney
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The dropbox menu bar app has stopped showing the time left in the current sync in the bottom of the window. It shows a seemingly irrelevant progress bar but even hovering over that does not tell me the time left to sync, which I have depended on to let clients know when files will be there. Hovering over only gives me the option to pause syncing. Was this feature removed or is this a bug in the latest update?

I'm on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

223 Replies 223

furtonb
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Ridiculous. Right now our team is working on a tight schedule with a very close deadline – we are syncing files back and forth via the Finder integration, dozens of files get changed all the time, quite big ones (ranging from a few MBs to GBs). Without this estimate, it is extremely frustrating not to know how much each of us need to wait until all the assets become up to date, all previously made calculations about remaining times are worthless. The "solution" of this thread is blood-boiling politely speaking, the responsible people should acknowledge this (their) mistake, and bring back this feature immediately. A letter of apology would be welcome as well.

Are they planning to put this feature to higher tiers only (I'm on the Plus plan right now)?!

Please put it back ASAP!

ElJayBronxNY
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I would be okay with some kind of explanation. All I've seen is that the imperious "they" have removed the feature. All this makes the Community do is HATE whoever removed the feature since it appears arbitrary and capricious.

If "they" feel it was not reliable, or whatever, at least they could share with the minions who BY THE WAY PAY THE FREIGHT FOR THIS APPLICATION some explanation for their decision. 

For me, I can get a link to the file (in my case usually a video file that lasts 1-2.5 hours and is in 4K and several (up to maybe 15) gigabytes as soon as it has copied to the Dropbox folder (in Windows 10 which I use). I can send my client an email and used to be able to say "It should be available in about X hours". No more.

The current information is useless. The current transmission speed means nothing. It can change, etc. 

More useful would be the approximate time to upload (obviously we can't hold Dropbox to an exact schedule here since conditions, including on my own computer and/or Internet connection, can change) and/or the amount received in a form 3.65GB/12.3GB (amount sent over total amount expected). The current format (right now sending an 11GB file out at 922KB/sec) tells me NOTHING that's useful.

SO...IF "they" insist on following this path of removing useful information, it should behoove "them" to explain why and what our alternatives are.

Thanks for listening and, hopefully, responding.

Jay from the Bronx, NY

harborlighthous
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Obviously the Project Manager and their team made this decsion. This is what happens with late stage companies. They need to figure out things to do so they can justify their yearly RSU grants, and CIP bonuses.

What needs to be done is the team needs to lose their PM, and they need to reinstate the feature, and then they need to sit down with SLT and maybe even ELT and and do a debrief and figure out how they can compensate their staff on metrics not associated with 'product enhacments' and then they need to rewrite their employee handbook and redo their core values and make sure humilty is #1

ElJayBronxNY
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Harbor...what I am missing from your answer is anything that indicates a priority for enhancing the user experience. 

I beg engineering or management to communicate back with us here and say more than the feature was removed. It should be either "oops...sorry! We didn't know it was that important to so many people" or "Here's the reason we found it necessary (or advisable) to remove this feature". 

Jay

pepe1967
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Why is this marked as solved? It certainly is NOT solved.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@pepe1967 wrote:

Why is this marked as solved? It certainly is NOT solved.

Actually, it is.

A post being marked as solved doesn't necessarily mean that the issue has been resolved. It simply means the original post has received a valid response that addresses the issue. In this case, that response is that the Time Left feature has been removed from the application.

ElJayBronxNY
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

What bothers me about the "solved" status is it appears that Dropbox after designating it that way doesn't dignify further responses (of which there have been MANY) with a further explanation. That's just not appropriate; we pay for this service and should be entitled to the courtesy of at least knowing why we're deprived of something we felt we could count on.

pawass
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How is this issue marked as solved?

And why in the world would they remove the feature that shows people when they can expect to have their files. Seriously? I use this ALL THE TIME to let people who are on tight deadlines know when they can expect files to be available.

Im sorry but whoever decided to remove that feature should not be in charge over there.

Please bring it back - a lot of people NEED it. 

pepe1967
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Well "Mr super user", your comment is irrelevant because that's NOT an acceptable solution to any of us paying users!! Until the "estimated time" indicator is returned, my team and I will continue to make lots of noise till a real person from Dropbox responds with an acceptable solution.

rosephotosau
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This is a really, very bad fetaure to remove. Why must  companies whom we pay tonnes of money to monthly remove useful features? More incentive to move to different platforms for me.

Need more support?