cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Time Left in Sync has been removed from the desktop app

Time Left in Sync has been removed from the desktop app

mcfinney
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The dropbox menu bar app has stopped showing the time left in the current sync in the bottom of the window. It shows a seemingly irrelevant progress bar but even hovering over that does not tell me the time left to sync, which I have depended on to let clients know when files will be there. Hovering over only gives me the option to pause syncing. Was this feature removed or is this a bug in the latest update?

I'm on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

223 Replies 223

Mandelko
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi. Thanks for the updates and information. As a user of the free version as I do not have too many files to upload at a time I did and do miss the toiming feature that was showing on the Dropbox icon in the windows task bar as it does make it easy for quick reference. However I have played around more with Dropbox and "discovered" , and much to my surprise that no one had mentioned it, that if you actually go to Dropboc.com via the link showing the world globe and use the Upload File/Folder function you will get the estimated time appearig in the bar at the bottom of the page. As mentioned above having it available on the icon would be best, but it is still available using another process. See links below. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ohrntox0cisvd56/Dropbox.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/roxqsvlghsyf4xa/Dropbox1.jpg?dl=0

furtonb
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
@Mandelko

Yes, I think most of us are aware of this. Although this completely defeats the purpose of using Dropbox for a lot of people I know (myself included), where we use it as an integrated part of our file systems, so the upload/download part is automatic.

I feel I need to clarify this, because I don’t want anyone responsible at Dropbox to take a look at this thread and say, “but it’s still available, use it that way!”

It might be valid, if you have occasional file transfers, I’m syncing thousands of files on a daily basis, this “product” is seriously crippled in this state.

@druidbox Team
What about offering an apology for us, this “yeah, we heard you, thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated” BS is so sad to read, it’s been months that this had been f*cked up, and I’m having an annual subscription, so opting out is not as fast for me. Oh, “discounts”, you were saying? In my dreams, I guess, it is very clear at this point that your “customers” equal the “cash cows” cell in the quarterly report...

aamirift
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hey Dropbox team how much time do you need further to bring back that feature?

alison b.11
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi all, reporting back on Sync.com, which I'm transferring to from DB since they dropped this feature.

All is good and 2x as much space on the Pro Plan (2TB) as on DB. Other operations comparable, although I don't really use sharing.

One BIG issue for me with Sync.com is you can't preview video without downloading links. (FWIW, I teach film making, so previewing student submissions is pretty crucial).

I emailed Sync customer support and they got back to me LESS THAN 48 HOURS LATER with a somewhat awkward workaround, but it'll do as I'd rather give them  my business than db, which has shown laughable contempt for the thousands of people who want the "time remaining" function back (a transparent attempt to push folks up to the next tier -- ugh).

ElJayBronxNY
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I think it goes beyond the push-to-next-tier issue. BEFORE they dropped the feature, I was noticing longer upload times. I have VERY fast internet speed so that was not a good thing to see. I think if they don't tell you the predictive time, and substantially deliver on that time, it's harder to complain that the upload service has gotten substantially slower. That cuts down on customer-service chats (or figuring out clever things for CS to tell us when we complain about upload or download speed).

alison b.11
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

You make a very good point.

There was also the "remove from all your devices?" that arose a couple of months ago when taking files out of desktop app  -- and maybe website too -- can't remember what the earlier iteration did, but this notification was new...whole thing is weird and opaque and I'm completely over db's corporate attitude. Blurgh.

emmasmartacus
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I’ve just checked out Sync as you’ve suggested and I think I’ll be switching as well! It’s a tad cheaper for more space and good customer service. The downloading video thing might be slightly inconvenient but since Dropbox still hasn’t returned the time remaining counter as they said, and the upload speeds have drastically slowed (for me anyway, not sure if anyone else has noticed that?) I have little left to entice me to stay with Dropbox.

kerstinh
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Can you tell us when the fix will be out? 

ripchord
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've been putting up with this for months and can't believe there's no word from DB. I upload huge video files for clients and now I literally have to just remember I was uploading and when to check back to see if it's done. Can't believe they removed a STANDARD feature like this and have been so slow to respond with a fix. 

Why is it so annoying? I used to be able to message a client with the link and say 'download will be available in 20 minutes'. Now? 'download will be available AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE BUT I HAVE NO FREAKING IDEA WHEN BECAUSE ALL I SEE IS A **bleep** BITRATE WHICH TELLS ME NOTHING'

JorgeD
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Add me to the list of users switching to Sync. I'm not enraged at this, but the lack of efficient customer support and then watching you post about getting a "Customers' Choice" on twitter made me realize I have no bussiness in here.

Need more support?