cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Time Left in Sync has been removed from the desktop app

Time Left in Sync has been removed from the desktop app

mcfinney
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The dropbox menu bar app has stopped showing the time left in the current sync in the bottom of the window. It shows a seemingly irrelevant progress bar but even hovering over that does not tell me the time left to sync, which I have depended on to let clients know when files will be there. Hovering over only gives me the option to pause syncing. Was this feature removed or is this a bug in the latest update?

I'm on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

223 Replies 223

graystate
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I was about to complain (again) about the upload time not being back, but then I thought about it and realised that there are probably some hard working and quite stressed coders working on getting the feature back in, so I just want to say thanks to those coders. I'm sure they'll get it back as soon as they can. I really really do look forward to that day though 🙂

ripchord
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

How is this marked 'solved' when it is obviously not?

Saying you'll do something, someday, does not equate to a problem being solved.

For example, I'm uploading a rendered video today and my client wants to know when he can expect it. That's a problem. The solution would be for me to look on the system tray and see the time left for the upload to complete, and then, in turn, relay that information to my client. Problem solved.

So since I cannot do that - the DB problem is not solved.

ripchord
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

BTW - for those of you that may think me harsh, I went from knowing (fairly accurately) when I could give a client a download link... to not having any idea when an upload would finish because I don't even have the progress bar that replaced the estimated completion time.

I have nothing but a bitrate (and no, I'm not going to calculate the file size and bitrate and get the estimated upload time manually - THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THE APP USED TO DO!)

furtonb
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Seriously, what  [profanity removed according to the Community Guidelines] is going on? How on earth is the "support" staff capable of writing ,,if this detail is important to you, go to the website..." - have you ever used your product, that people are using here?

It is not a solution and never will be! The point of the desktop application is the semi-replacement of servers, to store the files locally and have your team members/cooperators work with it, without having the need to upload hunderds of files then download it again, move it to the folder, repeat. I am dead serious, this is not a matter of uploading 1 file or folder to the client, it is a matter of everyday pain, you know there are people working with serious amount of data, which needs to be synced back and forth to track changes and not to worry about it. The effort that went into "redesigning" the desktop UI is worth nothing - starred/relevant/etc. tab is never used, let me rephrase, I know no one that uses it, why would you, when the integrated folder can be tagged/moved to favourites/etc. And the remaining time is not the only thing that got removed, also the ability to check what had been uploaded recently - quite some time ago I could scroll down and see every file listed, now a LOT of things are missing.

Could you do us a favour and stop making this application worse with every release? It doesn't need these bells and whistles that you clogged it with, it needs to tell me what it has synced, or if it still syncing, HOW LONG WILL THAT TAKE. That is exactly one detail, nothing less, nothing more to care about.

There had been almost 20 pages of complaints from your paying customers, I guess a lot of us are having annual subscriptions, so please hurry up with the solution, no one wants do deal with this, don't make your app more important than it should be. For all the developers working on this, I have all the empathy, I'm not even sure if the bureaucratic part of the company even relayed the message properly, but I have limited patience. It has been months, several long nights because of not knowing when syncing will be finished, for all the responsible people all I could say is [profanity removed according to the Community Guidelines]. You do not listen, do not respond in an acceptable way, all @Jane for instance could say is tech support [profanity removed according to the Community Guidelines], "blah blah blah, thank you for the inquiry, blah blah blah", which is so tiring to read after all this. I get that cancelling my subscription after this year's end for me doesn't mean [profanity removed according to the Community Guidelines] to you, but this very fact proves, that it is the best decision to make.

Your job is to remain absolutely unnoticed - I'm spending my workdays getting annoyed multiple times by the removal of this feature, it had been said nicely, it had been said more vigorously, no one blinked an eye, no letter of apology came with the title "sorry we, that we  [profanity removed according to the Community Guidelines] you" from the responsible people, everyone is hiding behind this blue logoed corporate image, I hope you sleep well, while I'm staying awake to text my colleagues "it's up, you can continue your part".

kerstinh
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Calculating the time via the bitrate won't even work if you don't know how long it has been uploading. This is ridiculous. 

fz750
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same issue with 72.4.136

Is this a problem, or is it intended to be like this?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @fz750, I’ve moved your post here as it seems to be more relevant and current in regards to your query. 

Please check out what @LuisA1 has mentioned in their previous reply as it may answer your query and if you have any additional feedback regarding this, just give us a nudge. 

Thank you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

fz750
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

thanks, my mistake, somehow I hadn't seen the replies 😞

Also, I have to agree with the other complaints: who on earth would remove this, and why is it not already back in ages back, appalling product management..

emmasmartacus
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
So when exactly is this coming back? I’ve noticed that even the syncing bar has disappeared so things appear to have only gotten worse. I realise your coders work hard, but why take away something that worked (even if slightly inaccurate) and take months and months to reinstate it. This is literally the only feature I care about on Dropbox. And no, I don’t want to use it within the browser, Desktop is best for the large files I send.

maxernest
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same problem, this is extremely inconvenient for my buisiness needs, please bring back this feature

Need more support?