cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

March contest: Post your Paper workflow to win a Dropbox t-shirt and tote bag!

no

Highlighted

Transferring Dropbox from One profile To Another Profile On the Same Computer

Level 2

Hello- I'm a local I.T. person and we have a lot of users that use Dropbox. We're working on a project where we have to create a new Windows profile on their existing computer. They will be using this new profile exclusively although the old profile will remain on the pc.

Old profile jimsmith

New profile jimsmithnet

Whats the easiest thing to do? Because when you uninstall the Dropbox App or Program it doesn't actually delete/remove the Dropbox folder. When you go to install the Dropbox app under the new profile Dropbox gets confused about a Dropbox folder being on the computer but under a different path. The old path is C\users\jimsmith\dropbox. We want it under C\users\jimsmithnet\dropbox.

I can't find anything on this because no user would want to do this. I have to do this for a corporate world networking reason. Thanks.

3 Replies

Re: Transferring Dropbox from One profile To Another Profile On the Same Computer

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Jack, if the user is still going to be using their old profile in the future, but for now is using the new profile for this project, is there a reason to change the Dropbox folder location?

If you’re installing the Dropbox desktop application under a brand new profile, then it would take the local user profile location, and not the one from another computer profile.

This way, the new profile would have its own folder, and the old profile would keep its profile.

If I’m misunderstanding something, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Transferring Dropbox from One profile To Another Profile On the Same Computer

Level 2

Hello- Thanks for the reply. No, we don't want the users accessing anything on their old profile for security reason. They are the type of users that want everything where it should be anyway. The Dropbox folder should be under C\users\jimsmithnet\dropbox and not C\users\jimsmith\dropbox. I noticed when you move the Dropbox folder from the old profile to the new profile. Dropbox wants to download all the files on the Dropbox server on top of the files that are already in the Dropbox folder. Which is an issue if the pc has limited space. 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for the clarification, you could technically use the same method listed here when moving to a ‘new computer’, or in this case, computer profile.

The Dropbox desktop application doesn’t actually download these files again, it only re-indexes them to make sure there were no changes to files in the folder.

If you’re cutting and pasting the files in the folder into the new profile, then there shouldn’t be any loss of space on the hard drive.

Let me know if this helps out!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Transferring Dropbox from One profile To Another Profile On the Same Computer
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post