Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Tray icon not responding linux mint 17.3

Level 1

I have three Linux Mint 17.3 computers - all three display the same fault.

Dropbox synchronises OK and the the small "tick" in the icon changes from red to green as appropriate. But for about the last week, I can no longer open the Tray icon to change preferences or monitor progress. I assume that there has been an update and thought to let you know. One of the computers was a fresh installation yesterday, the others have been reliable for years (even after the upgrade from Linux Mint 17.2 to Linux Mint 17.3).

33 Replies

Re: Tray icon not responding linux mint 17.3

Level 1

I've the same problem

Level 1

I also have the same problem. I believe it started happening as of the automatic 3.14.5 update.

Level 1

I also have the same problem... I just installed 17.3 and Dropbox from the mint official repository and the tray icon became non responsive. I was about to download it from the Dropbox page...anybody knows if it works?

Level 1

[Update: Although this sudo workaround worked, it is NOT convenient because it uses root and needs file ownership recoveries later; it's advisable to use another workaround without root instead, such as the excellent dbus-launch workaround]

It's possible that the following will also work for this bug: A command line workaround for a similar bug these days (no Dropbox icon on Linux Mint system tray), to try until these Dropbox icon bugs get fixed.

dropbox stop
sudo dropbox start

Level 1

Tks @Juan. That worked!

Level 1

err... after that... it became unstable (i.e. crashed) when I used the selective sync feature... I think I'll wait for the fix :(

Level 1

Mm... odd, sorry. It works fine with no crashes for me and others.

Level 1
dropbox stop
sudo dropbox start
it works with kde 4.13.3 but without sudo no icon.
i used the deb installer from the site not the dropbox-nautilus from repositories.

Level 1

When using the "dropbox" package installed with the Software Manager (Linux Mint KDE), that temporary workaround works also here.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Tray icon not responding linux mint 17.3
33 Replies
54 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post