cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Trouble installing on Kindle Fire

Trouble installing on Kindle Fire

Nancy B.10
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I followed the install directions (Allow Installation of Applications from unknown sources is ON), but when I press "Download for Android" it loads for about 2 seconds then stops and it seems like nothing happened. The app is not installed; there is nothing in my download file. Can someone help me? Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mariedb
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there!

To install Dropbox on your Kindle device, please take the following steps:

• Open the Kindle's main Setting app. On most devices you can find the settings by tapping "Apps" at the top of the Kindle's home screen, then selecting "Settings."
  • From the Settings app, tap "Applications".
  • Toggle the setting labeled "Apps from Unknown Sources" to "On". This enables your device to install apps not in Amazon's Appstore.
  • Next return to the Kindle's main screen and launch the built-in Silk browser.
  • In your browser, open the following URL:

https://www.dropbox.com/android

If you cannot access the link above, try downloading the app directly using this link instead:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6993309/Dropbox.apk
  • Once you've downloaded the app file, return to the Silk Browser window and tap the Sidebar Menu button (three horizontal lines icon in upper-left).
  • Tap "Downloads.”
  • From here, tap the "Dropbox.apk" file that just downloaded to launch the Dropbox installer.
  • You will be prompted to confirm the installation of the Dropbox app. Tap the "Install" button to continue. When the installation is complete, click "Done" or "Open".

Please note the Dropbox app is not optimized for Kindle devices and may experience performance issues on older Kindle devices.

I hope this helps!

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Mariedb
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there!

To install Dropbox on your Kindle device, please take the following steps:

• Open the Kindle's main Setting app. On most devices you can find the settings by tapping "Apps" at the top of the Kindle's home screen, then selecting "Settings."
  • From the Settings app, tap "Applications".
  • Toggle the setting labeled "Apps from Unknown Sources" to "On". This enables your device to install apps not in Amazon's Appstore.
  • Next return to the Kindle's main screen and launch the built-in Silk browser.
  • In your browser, open the following URL:

https://www.dropbox.com/android

If you cannot access the link above, try downloading the app directly using this link instead:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6993309/Dropbox.apk
  • Once you've downloaded the app file, return to the Silk Browser window and tap the Sidebar Menu button (three horizontal lines icon in upper-left).
  • Tap "Downloads.”
  • From here, tap the "Dropbox.apk" file that just downloaded to launch the Dropbox installer.
  • You will be prompted to confirm the installation of the Dropbox app. Tap the "Install" button to continue. When the installation is complete, click "Done" or "Open".

Please note the Dropbox app is not optimized for Kindle devices and may experience performance issues on older Kindle devices.

I hope this helps!

Nancy B.10
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thank you for your reply. I tried both of the methods below and neither one worked. Don't know where to go from here.

Diane G.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks Marie. I followed your easy to follow steps and it worked perfectly!

Susan W.22
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I followed the directions. It shows drop box as installed but there are no download files and I can't find it on the device. Can you help?

Peter G.76
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

On my just purchased Amazon fire tablet in settings I do not have "Applications" (only "Apps & Games") so cannot see "Apps from unknown sources". Also the second option does not work. Believe I have downloaded "Dropbox.apk" but have no option in Silk menu to view (no "Downloads" option).

Help 

Scott D.21
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I just downloaded DropBox on Fire 5th Gen. The "Apps from Unknown Sources" toggle is now under "Security" in Settings. I typed in the direct download in the Silk browser (noted above from Marie) and it downloaded. I found "Downloads" under the Sidebar Menu button (three horizontal lines icon in upper-left). I tap on the Dropbox icon in Downloads after it downloaded, it asks if I want to install, I say yes, and it installed fine.

M S.12
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

After about 20 (seriously!) attempts to do the direct download and having it fail partway through, I had an "aha" moment after reading some of the comments on this thread.  I went to the display sleep settings and changed them to 30 minutes.  The next time I downloaded it, it succeeded and it is now installed.  Now I'm gonna change the settings back to a shorter time.  But it's good to know how to do that.
But finding that "apps from unknown sources" toggle was the very hell to find.  It was (as pointed out above) under Security.  

So after the security, sleep and download issues, I am now happy.

Bryan A.7
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I followed Maries direct download link above and it worked. Got weary with being bounced to Google Play. Why won't Amazon be co-operative with Google?

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Why won't Amazon be co-operative with Google?

Its more the other way round - Google want a tonne of concessions to use the Google Play store, in areas where Google and Amazon compete.

Need more support?