Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ubuntu 17.04 Update Problem

SOLVED
7 Comments
5 Kudos
Level 4

Ubuntu 17.04 Update Problem

I've used Dropbox in my Ubuntu 17.04 for quite some time now, but since a couple of days it's triggering an update message that directs me to a page where my only option is to download the exact same file I used to install the software in the first place, leaving me with no working option to get past the continuous loops of "You're using an old version of Dropbox. Please update to the latest version to continue using Dropbox." every hour or so (a message which has an option to update OR exit Dropbox).

The installed version is dropbox_2015.10.28_amd64.deb

I've noticed zesty is not currently in linux.dropbox.com/ubuntu but my goal here is mainly to stop the message from apearing as I can't do much at the moment. Are there any options to fix this problem for the beta version of Ubuntu?

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 17.04
Release: 17.04
Codename: zesty

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Super User

Re: Ubuntu 17.04 Update Problem

davi5e wrote:

I've used Dropbox in my Ubuntu 17.04 for quite some time now, but since a couple of days it's triggering an update message that directs me to a page where my only option is to download the exact same file I used to install the software in the first place, leaving me with no working option to get past the continuous loops of "You're using an old version of Dropbox. Please update to the latest version to continue using Dropbox." every hour or so (a message which has an option to update OR exit Dropbox). 

Hello, @davi5e...

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS on two different computers so I'm not comparing apples-to-apples but I'm not experiencing any problems with either of them using the Dropbox Desktop Client (both 32 bit).

However, I can recommend that you try the newest stable build (offline installer), it should be a newer version than the one you listed in your OP (unless you found that link and tried it already).  After installing it, please restart your computer.

FYI:  I'm just putting this here for you to try while @Sanchez talks to his Linux people.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES

7 Replies
Dropboxer

Hey @davi5e, welcome to our forum! 

Is this update message still coming up? If so, can you tell me if there were any other changes or updates made to your system around the time this started happening? 

Let me know, and we’ll go from there. 
Thanks! 

By the way, sorry for the late reply upside-down face

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

Level 4

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Yes, the message won't go away confounded face

So, I constantly update the system with apt-get upgrade and dist-upgrade, but besides that, I can't remember any specific package or otherwise relevant install I made in the past week...

I can get a full list of the packages installed, if it helps.

Regards, DAVI

Level 4

By the way, I just noticed it's not syncing with my account anymore...

I guess now I can upgrade my complain from an annoying message to an actual problem with the beta version of my OS.

Another thing, as I use Kubuntu, Nautilus is not installed and I use Dolphin (but it wasn't a problem until now though).

DAVI

Dropboxer

Hey @davi5e

I admit that my Linux knowledge is limited, and so I’d like to get this over to our Linux guys so they can take a look. Would you mind submitting a support ticket here, and then letting me know your ticket number? I’ll be able to look it up in our system, and get it to the right inbox for review winking face

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful here, but I’ll see what I can do about getting you an answer. Keep in mind that while an OS or app is in beta, we don’t officially support it.

Thanks in advance! 

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly!
slightly smiling face

Highlighted
Solution
Super User

davi5e wrote:

Hello, @davi5e...

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS on two different computers so I'm not comparing apples-to-apples but I'm not experiencing any problems with either of them using the Dropbox Desktop Client (both 32 bit).

However, I can recommend that you try the newest stable build (offline installer), it should be a newer version than the one you listed in your OP (unless you found that link and tried it already).  After installing it, please restart your computer.

FYI:  I'm just putting this here for you to try while @Sanchez talks to his Linux people.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES

Level 4

So, I didn't got the time to post the question over in the linux board, but now that I downloaded the Stable Build 34.4.20 the problem stoped.

If I execute the program, I'm able to sync to my account again and everything is back to normal. I think this solves my particular problem until the OS version gets an actual release.

Thanks for all the help slightly smiling face

DAVI

Super User

davi5e wrote:

Now that I downloaded the Stable Build 34.4.20 the problem stopped.

If I execute the program, I'm able to sync to my account again and everything is back to normal. I think this solves my particular problem until the OS version gets an actual release.

Thanks for all the help slightly smiling face

DAVI

Hello, @davi5e...

That's fantastic news!  I'm glad the stable build 34.4.20 of the Desktop Client worked for you nerd face

Back to normal is good.  Well... anytime you use a beta operating systems or programs, you run the risk of having potential problems.

You're welcome and thank you for marking my post as a solution White check mark - much obliged.