cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Update behind socks proxy

Update behind socks proxy

xsoft
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,
I have Dropbox 27.4.22 on Windows 7.
I have it connected via socks5 proxy. Direct call to dropbox.com is blocked on company firewall.

Update procvess will NOT go thru dropbox app, instead I have fileopen request to:
file:///C:/users/.../appdata/local/temp/dbxlatk7ns.html#

This file openet at browser with proxy (without it will NOT load, its dropbox.com redirect)
and open an installer: https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?from_client=True

But also, this install will fail, because it's not using Socks proxy.

Well, why is Dropbox aboiding proxy setting and why is trying to connect directly to Dropbox.com? Automatic update can never be done in this way (with proxy required envirement).

23 Replies 23

xsoft
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello,

A = my computer

B = firewall/gateway at company

C = computer outside comp. network

A -------> B#fw ---> (internet)       //connection to internet, all trafic
A --SSH--> C ------> (internet)       

Dropbox client have SOCKS5 to "C".

Computer A and C dont have any restrictions on firewall. (so no, there is no firewall on local maching with dropbox client)

At B there is DROP rule to all IP of Dropbox

DROPBOX="162.125.0.0/16,64.124.102.192/29,199.47.216.0/22,108.160.160.0/20,205.189.0.0/24,209.99.70.0/24,45.58.64.0/20,208.185.144.160/27,185.45.8.0/22"

That means A (directly) can PING dropbox.com, tan telnet to 80 or 443.

But DNS is possible. PING (and NSLOOKUP) will get IP of dropbox.com (162.125.248.1), but cant ping anything because of DROP rule (ping will return connection timeout).

xsoft
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

And 7 days are out.

"You're using an old version of Dropbox. Please update to the latest verstion to continue using Dropbox"
Update is not possible to do. SOCKS setting from Dropbox or IE (global) will not work there. Firewall rule can't be deleted ... that means .. game over 😞

xsoft
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Ok.

Long story short.
1) Windows Dropbox client can't do update via SOCKS proxy.
2) Official Dropbox client (from dropbox page) can't update via SOCKS proxy either.
3) direct Dropbox.com site is blocked

No solution or message "accepted as a bug.. " from Dropbox side.

So there is my NON-official solution:

** HOW TO INSTALL DROPBOX BEHIND SOCKS PROXY **
(aka when Firewall or when provider is blocking dropbox.com)

-- disclaimer --
1) it is NOT official
2) sure, there can be a virus or malware inside
3) (not, I'm not detecting any of those)
4) but you are on your own, I'm not taking (and can't take) responsibility for this
---------------

Solution:Install via this link: [link removed]

It's repacked Dropbox client from another source (which is most likely not blocked).
If you had Dropbox before, it's just update.

Thanks. Bye.
(next time I'll reconsider submitting a bug)

apraetor
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Sorry for the delay, @xsoft; I have a copy of Dropbox running through a PuTTY SSH tunnel with dynamic tunnelling enabled, but as there has not been another update yet I cannot verify it updated.

However, as a work-around, you can always download a full version (from: Help Center) of the Dropbox installer instead of the web installer. Your nanite solution also works, although I would caution against using unknown third parties to package executables, particularly those which will be granted administrator permissions for an installation. 

As far as filing a bug report, this is the Dropbox Forum. If you wish to file a bug report, you can do so from dropbox.com/support. Regardless, I am going to leave this copy of the Dropbox PC client running through the PuTTY tunnel until the next update is released and will follow up here.

Thanks!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @xsoft

This is just a brilliant workaround, thanks for posting this here, it'll definitely help a lot of users connecting through a VPN!

Much appreciated indeed! :upside_down: :tools: :gear:

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

apraetor
Super User alumni
Go to solution

@xsoft Hey, sorry for the delay -- Dropbox just pushed a new update to my client last night. I wanted to confirm that SOCKS5 via PuTTY SSH do update properly. My sandbox client successfully updated from 34.3.19 to 35.3.15. If you are still having issues with SOCKS5 please fill out a support request here.

xsoft
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello, thanks - I will.

Since Im still on version 33.4.23 (from last manual update mentioned previously).

It is still NOT working. Sorry.

Note: version 33.4.23, windows 7pro, dropbox client restarted.
(this is BETA release right?) never mind, I had and have turned ON early releases.
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Beta-Build-35-3-15/td-p/241307

Mousehover on Dropbox client whos also: "Dropbox 33.4.23, Up to date"

apraetor
Super User alumni
Go to solution
I realize it isn't working for you. But since it is working generally, this is something that is going to require investigation into the personal details of your setup to identify the root cause. That is why I suggested submitting a support request to Dropbox.

xsoft
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It is kinda strange that it's not working on my side but it's workign on yours.

Are you sure you block your firewall properly?

Like with DROP rule on all IP range for Dropbox? (DNS is allowed).
Setup just at Dropbox client, not IE.

(note: report submited as suggested).

apraetor
Super User alumni
Go to solution
It's running in a virtual machine with no internet access, only virtual lan access to the host (i.e. no NAT is provided at all). The host is running PuTTY with dynamic tunneling. The VM uses the host's lan ip as the SOCKS5 proxy server address.
Need more support?