cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What does it mean when there's a red X on a file icon rather than a green tick?

What does it mean when there's a red X on a file icon rather than a green tick?

Howard G.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

A red X on a file or folder indicates a problem with that file or folder. A red X on the Dropbox icon could mean the same, or something else entirely. You need to hover your cursor over the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) and see what Dropbox is reporting.

The Bad Files Check page is currently down. Dropbox is aware and working on the issue. There is no ETA at this time.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

It means theres an error. 

Mouse over the Dropbox icon on your status bar and see what it says. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Judy F.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

dropbox folder has green check mark, subfolder has green check mark, file in subfolder has red x

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

As said, it means their is an error with that file.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

aSherlock
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Oh really? That helped a lot! 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Mark already explained how to see what that error is.

Mouse over the Dropbox icon on your status bar and see what it says. 

He's talking about the Dropbox application icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac). NOT the Dropbox folder.

rob877
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just had that happen and I noticed the enclosing folder, which had the red x, had an emoji smiley face in the name.  I edited the folder name and removed the smiley face and it switched from a red x to a blue syncing icon and eventually to a green check.  Same with all of the files and folders within.

Do you have any special characters in the offending file or folder name?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@rob877 wrote:

Do you have any special characters in the offending file or folder name?

Illegal characters is a common cause of that, as is a files that's in use or locked by another process. For illegal characters, you can use the Bad Files Check to list all files in your account that may have a problem syncing.

cstrohmeyer
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have received a red X on our drop box folder.

I cannot find any file with bad characters. This occured immediately after a major Drop Box update that took some time to sync on my computers.  However my main computer still has a red X and others do not.

This link will not load either:

https://www.dropbox.com/bad_files_check

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

A red X on a file or folder indicates a problem with that file or folder. A red X on the Dropbox icon could mean the same, or something else entirely. You need to hover your cursor over the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) and see what Dropbox is reporting.

The Bad Files Check page is currently down. Dropbox is aware and working on the issue. There is no ETA at this time.

Need more support?