cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

Help us improve our online support experience by taking our short survey!

no

Highlighted

What happens with the Dropbox drive is moved? Will it remove all data on the cloud?

Level 2

Let's say my Dropbox is located in D:/Documents/Dropbox

For some reason the next time I login the D: partition is not mounted, for example it could be that D: was another drive that was physically removed.

What happens? Will Dropbox prompt me to locate the folder, or will Dropbox think that all my files have been deleted and start to propagate deletion on the cloud and throughout all devices?

1 Reply

Re: What happens with the Dropbox drive is moved? Will it remove all data on the cloud?

Dropboxer

Hey there @dfg53 - nice question you got there!

Dropbox can indeed be used with an external hard drive (even though I woulnd't recommend it) as long as you can ensure the drive is always connected to your computer while Dropbox is running and it meets our minimum requirements as described below:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/system-requirements

If the drive is ever disconnected from the computer while Dropbox is running there is a small chance that the Dropbox software will start deleting files before realizing that the entire drive has been removed.

If that happens, you will be able to restore your files (assuming that they have been succesfully uploaded in the first place) through your Events page for 30 days if you're on the Basic or our Plus plan while this extends to 120 days for our Professional and Business users. 

Last but not least, why not use our selective sync feature which is a great way to free up space on a connected computer by unsycning some of the folders you might not be using at the moment?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

What happens with the Dropbox drive is moved? Will it remove all data on the cloud?
More about this post
1 Reply
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post