cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

What to do with Dropbox after giving a computer away?

Level 5

I recently had to migrate all of my data to a newer (MAC) desktop. I gave my old one to my nephew after uninstalling and/or deleting any programs that had not originally come with that desktop, except for Dropbox. I hesitated to do anything with Dropbox for fear that it would eliminate files from the Dropboxes of all the persons with whom I have shared filed during the years that I used that former desktop. What to do in this case? Thanks for your help.

3 Replies

Re: What to do with Dropbox after giving a computer away?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, I’d recommend immediately unlinking that machine from your Dropbox account from the Dropbox site. Make sure to delete the computer that you recently gave away with the X button.

This is because your nephew might decide to delete files from that folder anyway to free up space, which would then delete from your account. This happens very often when computers are given away or sold.

Once the computer is unlinked, then you won’t have any issues with your files, and you won’t need to make any other changes. Any folders you shared would still be active since they are linked to your account online, and not the desktop machine.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5

Dear Jay,

Many thanks for your help with this issue. My nephew lives in a different town so I will need to wait untl I visit him ( fairly soon). At that time, I will follow your instructions to unlink my account from that computer. Since I have quite a few files on Dropbox, I am sure that unlinking Dropbox will contribute a lot more space for his use.

Barbara V.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Barbara, you can actually unlink it directly from the site, without even needing access to the computer.

This link takes you to all the computers linked to your account. You simply need to remove the laptop they he’s using.

Of course, you can wait until you next visit him, but at least this is an option to get it done a bit faster!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

What to do with Dropbox after giving a computer away?
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post