Did you mean: 

When files are copied to external drive folder has Drob Box Icon attached

SOLVED
1 Comment
1 Kudo
Highlighted

When files are copied to external drive folder has Drob Box Icon attached

Hello:

For safety we want to copy the contents of the dropbox folder on my desktop to a folder on an external drive.  When the copy starts the folder on the external drive has the dropbox icon attached.  Does this mean the files in Dropbox will sync with the cloud?  This is NOT what I want.  I want a snapshot of the contects of Drobbox as of the time of the copy that is on the shelf in case some event causes "issues" with the contents of dropbox.  And if the drive is still attached when the "issue" occures I want no changes to the copy on the external drive.

Thanks for your help.

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Super User II

Re: When files are copied to external drive folder has Drob Box Icon attached

No, the copy you're making is not syncing. More than likely, if this is a Windows computer, the icon you're seeing is set by the desktop.ini file within the Dropbox folder. I'm sure OS X has a similar feature, but I don't know what controls the icon.

1 Reply
Solution
Super User II

Re: When files are copied to external drive folder has Drob Box Icon attached

No, the copy you're making is not syncing. More than likely, if this is a Windows computer, the icon you're seeing is set by the desktop.ini file within the Dropbox folder. I'm sure OS X has a similar feature, but I don't know what controls the icon.