Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

yes

5 Comments
0 Likes
Level 5

Why are my files not syncing from one computer to another?

I updated and saved files on Jan 3 on my work computer, Dropbox desktop folder, Win 7 operating system. Opened home computer, Win 10. Files were not present in Dropbox desktop folder. Message on Dropbox update icon in the tray said I should reinstall for sync problems (Yellow ! warning sign). I went online. Files from Jan. 3 not online. I refreshed the browser. Nothing. I reinstalled Dropbox. The files I had created at work still did not appear. I created new versions with new dates. Came to work. Work Dropbox had my Jan 3 but not Jan 6 files. I refreshed desktop and online folder. NOW I have all files. Have not been home to see if the updated files will load, but they should since they show up online. What happened? How can I avoid this in the future? This has never happened, and I use Dropbox every day at work!

Thanks!

ASM

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 5

Re: Syncing

Thanks again, Jay -

The problem has not recurred.  Well - I should say this - I have not opened Dropbox at home for a couple of days. I try to leave work at work. The thing is, I had never had that problem before, and I've been using Dropbox for several years at this point. It does seem likely that the problem arose at the MSU end since I did work here, and that work did not appear in Dropbox online, and so not at my home computer, either. Since then, I have saved more work to Dropbox on my office computer, and have opened those files on other computers at MSU - everything appears to be working normally again. It may have been the backup program on my office computer that runs automatically, and runs from the local network. Beyond me - thanks for your help!

ASM

5 Replies
Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi Andrew, could you confirm if both Dropbox desktop applications are signed into the same Dropbox account? Also check which one you’re signing into from the site.

In each of these places, we want to find the email address used to connect to Dropbox. Please also look carefully for typos in your email address in any of these places.

1. On your computer, click on the small Dropbox icon in your menu bar or system tray. Click on the gear in the Notifications panel. Click on Preferences, then click on Account.
2. On iOS, open your Dropbox app and tap on "Account". On Android, open your Dropbox app, tap on the Menu button, and then tap on "Settings".
3. On the Dropbox website, click on your avatar or the face in the top right corner.

Additionally, have you allowed time for the Dropbox desktop application to sync fully to your machine? 

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5

Hi Jay -

The Dropbox desktop installations are many months old, to the same - the ONE and ONLY account. Nothing had been changed before this incident. I access Dropbox from the app on my desktops (work and home), not online. I like the folder interface that looks just like any other folder on Windows machines. I also access Dropbox online when I am in the classroom - but that's not relevant here.

The files I created on Jan. 3 had not synced from this (work machine) to Dropbox. I looked for them yesterday, Jan. 6. So, had enough time transpired? I had not shutdown my work computer, either, nor were those files the last work I did on that computer that day... In other words, I believe there were hours of sync time possible.

My work computer is at a major university - internet connection speeds are 162.2 Mbps download and 148.7 Mbps upload. Just tested.

My home computer has relatively similar downloads, with substantially slower uploads. I tested it over the past weekend.

Remember, my home computer Dropbox icon showed me a warning sign when I hovered over it with the mouse. That's the icon that tells whether Dropbox is up to date. BUT, the files were NOT in Dropbox online. Seems the problem was from work (MSU) to Dropbox.  I had both desktop and online versions open for a while today, and sync times were normal - within seconds or faster.

So - what happened?

Thanks.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

There is a possibility that a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains.

If there is a proxy server at your workplace, have you tried entering those details in the Dropbox desktop application preferences?

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 5

Thanks again, Jay -

The problem has not recurred.  Well - I should say this - I have not opened Dropbox at home for a couple of days. I try to leave work at work. The thing is, I had never had that problem before, and I've been using Dropbox for several years at this point. It does seem likely that the problem arose at the MSU end since I did work here, and that work did not appear in Dropbox online, and so not at my home computer, either. Since then, I have saved more work to Dropbox on my office computer, and have opened those files on other computers at MSU - everything appears to be working normally again. It may have been the backup program on my office computer that runs automatically, and runs from the local network. Beyond me - thanks for your help!

ASM

Highlighted
Dropboxer
Dropboxer

No worries, let me know if you need further assistance in future!

Jay

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Installation and desktop app issues.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.