cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do these com.dropbox.attributes files show up everywhere?

Why do these com.dropbox.attributes files show up everywhere?

Richard W.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

These files are cluttering up my folders. There seems to be one for every real file that I have. I'd like to delete them.

What are they and where did they come from? And how can I stop them?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi, 

The issue you're seeing is a Mac issue that occurs when copying files with extended attributes metadata into a file system that doesn't support them.

Depending on the information stored in the metadata, you may or may not need these files.

These files are called AppleDouble files and more information on how to handle them can be found by searching for: "apple double files"

To avoid this issue if you have your Dropbox folder on an external drive, we recommend ensuring that the drive is formatted in the default file system format for the Operating System that is installed.

A quick fix to remove those files: from the website you can search "attributes" in the search bar.

You can select all the results and delete them all together.

Thank you!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

50 Replies 50

Alessandro N.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'd like to get rid of these files either...
It seems they have been introduced in the recent terms

Richard W.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Anybody else see these? Quite a few of my folders are completely full of them - basically duplicating all my files with these attributes files.

Lorenzo G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm having exactly the same problem. Folders are filled up with attributes files. Is anybody from the support team willing to answer?

Richard W.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've heard from support and basically these are caused by some operating system adding "extended attributes" to the file. Most likely MAC OS. Extended attributes are things beyond the basic "file creation date" etc. These attributes are not supported on other OS so dropbox creates a little file to store them - at least that's what I think is happening. Although it might be the other way around that MAC is creating the file.

I ran the xattr -cr mydropboxfolder to recursively remove these attributes and then deleted all the extended files, but they came back.

Bottom line is that I don't think dropbox thinks that this is their fault. I think they are wrong and they need to at least make these files hidden.

I'm not happy nor am I impressed with this.

Lorenzo G.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks for your update.

Indeed, it looks like a superficial answer: (1) I never interacted through Dropbox with a MAC OS in the last few days; (2) noone but Dropbox can have added these new files into MY folders.

This looks like a bad bug: I already posted it in the bug's section of Dropbox's support, and anyone with the same problem should do the same; the more messages, the better.

Richard W.1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Interesting. Another data point: When I talked to a friend who has shared dropbox folders, only the ones shared with me have this problem. His other ones are fine. There is something going on that doesn't affect everyone.

Lorenzo G.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Once again, exactly the same. Let's see if we find other analogies whcih may help understanding the bug's origin: I'm syncing between different Windows OS (XP, 7, and 8.1) and I have recently installed Dropbox on my Android 4.4.2 smartphone.

Giuseppe S.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Yes the same happens to me. Files are only on the web, they are not copied on my PCs (Windows 7 and 8). But they affect the syncing that now is very slow. I would like to get rid of them. If I try to remove them from the web interface I can only do a search and delete them 100 at time. I have more than 200,000 of them now... A clear answer from Dropbox team about how to deal with this issue would be really useful.

Lorenzo G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I made a few experiments: it seems that com.dropbox.attributes files are created by my Windows 8.1 workstation whenever a file is moved/created/modified (also by other workstations). Again, no MacOS around. Support?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Vladimir2 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Bob M.58 New member | Level 1
    Robert S. Super User alumni
What do Dropbox user levels mean?