Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

9 Comments
0 Likes
Highlighted
Level 3

Why is DB suddenly downloading thousands of files upon startup of computer?

Every couple of weeks I run into the same problem with DB. Upon startup of the computer, the DB app decides it needs to download thousands of files and clogs up the whole works. A couple of times I was able to re-start my computer and that solved the problem. Today I've re-started my computer 3 times and each time DB's downloading increases.

I KNOW that there have not been changes in my DB account to warrant this. This sucks up my internet data and time, nothing to say about screwing up my work flow.

Why does this keep happening and how do I stop it from happening?

9 Replies
Super User II

Re: Why is DB suddenly downloading thousands of files upon startup of computer?

It's likely not downloading files, but just re-indexing your account. It will appear to be uploading and downloading while this takes place, but it's only sending comparison data bcak and forth. This is done when Dropbox needs to rebuild its database. Keep in mind that restarting your computer while this is happening will only cause Dropbox to start the process over again.

Level 3

I've had it say that it was re-indexing, which took a day and a half for it to complete. This says downloading and it makes it so I can't access files that I know are there – I have to go to the online website to get anything done.

There's a glitch somewhere and it is blasted frustrating. There has to be a fix.

Dropboxer

Hey Bryan (@luvmijaz), I’m merely checking back with you on progress. Has indexing completed? Let me know what you're seeing at the moment here & I’d happily send you a bit of advice if needed!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

I am having the same issue on my desktop and not on my ipad, iphone or work computer.  I have already, un-installed, reistalled(tech support sent me howto) but still doing theis WHY??  Mac 10.11.6

Ken

Dropboxer

Hey Ken (@drlngus), thanks for taking a bit of your time to drop us a line here; I hope you’ve had a great Monday so far! 

Since you’ve mentioned that you’ve un-installed & re-installed as per my colleague’s advice, I’m wondering if  Rich’s pointers apply in the behavior you’re facing. You may keep in mind that, when you launch Dropbox it needs to index all the changes that haven’t been synced down since the last time this device was connected. In other words, if you hadn’t used this device for a couple of days & there was a significant number of changes made, then these changes need to be reflected locally as well. For that reason, Dropbox will index & sync your changes in the background as soon as you connect to a network. 

Please do let us know how these pointers apply in your current setup & we’ll do my best to check back what’s happening. In order to follow-up a bit more closely with you, we’d also appreciate a screenshot of what you're seeing in your next post as well; I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

It took hours for it complete its "downloading". Thing is I know there weren't thousands of files to download. There is a glitch somewhere and this is messing up my work flow when I have to do a work-around go get my job done. This shouldn't be happening every other week.

Dropboxer

Happy to hear it’s sorted for you now Bryan (@luvmijaz) & thanks a lot for looping back to me to let me know of the progress. I’d suggest leaving this discussion open as a point of contact. If you experience the same behavior again, you can ping me back here, in order to check the account details on my tools & further advise on how you could best proceed from that point onwards. 

Once again, thanks for posting your question on our Community & I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day ahead! 😊

Jane

Level 3

The problem isn't solved. Last week it was 11,000 files – so far today it is 1200 files. This is a ridiculous problem. It says its downloading, not re-indexing.

Dropboxer

I apologize for my misunderstanding @luvmijaz; let me investigate having all our tools available so as to further advise how you could go about on this behavior moving forward.

I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email on my end & you can check your inbox for my message whenever you find some spare time. Once you get back in touch with me, I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks!

Jane

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Installation and desktop app issues.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post