cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Did you know you can get an answer in less than 2 hours? Try asking a question now!
30 Comments
16 Likes
Highlighted
TF2
Level 4

Windows App not Updating

I have version 7.4.2.0 on my MS Surface and another laptop. The App is not updating on either device today; I'm getting the error message Code: 0x800B0100. Does anyone else have that issue and has anyone found a solution please?

Tags (2)
1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Dropboxer

Re: Windows App not Updating

For information, Microsoft found what was the issue: they had a bug server-side creating faulty .Net native packages.

They fixed the bug on their side and you should be able to download our most recent update now.

Full explanation:

When a developer (Dropbox for example) submit a package/update to the store, they first check the package and then use .Net native to convert the .Net code into native code. This is a very interesting technology, it means that the package you download from the store is optimized for your processor (using most recent CPU instructions for example) instead of being a generic package but not optimized. It also means that the package you download is not the same that we submit, and in our case, they replaced our package by a faulty one.

When a developer submits an update to the store, Microsoft uses one of the many toolchains to generate a .Net native package, but some of them had a bug, unfortunately, Microsoft used one of them to "optimize" our package :(

We contacted them as soon as we had knowledge of the issue and they just found the reason and already fixed it. To replace all faulty packages (whatever the publisher), they removed all faulty packages from the store and replaced them by newly generated .net Native packages. This is why you probably received a lot of updates this afternoon with version numbers ending with .1000, these packages were not generated by publishers but by Microsoft themselves, to fix their issue.

Rudy

30 Replies
Dropboxer

Hey @TF2! This sounds like an OS-specific error, however, please try an advanced reinstall and see if that does the trick. 

If you’re still having some trouble even after that, could you please send us a screenshot of the error message? Cheers! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

TF2
Level 4

Thanks Lusil, I'll give it a few days and, if necessary, use the advanced reinstall as a last resort then.

Level 6

I see exactly the same on my two Windows 10 machines (1803 fully patched)

Level 6

Hi Lusil, it's the Dropbox Mobile app from Microsoft Store, not the desktop sync programm.

There's nothing to do on OS side, as all other store apps are installing and updating without issues.

Super User

The error code: 0x800b0100 seems specific to Windows update. Can you please try the suggestions posted in Microsoft forum - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update-winpc/failed-to-install-update-e...?

Level 5

Idem problem in Two machines ....Código: 0x800B0100

Level 6

Hey, this is not a Windows update issue, it's just an issue when installing / updating DropBox Mobile from the Microsoft Store. Error code 0x800b0100 points to a damaged component or a certificate / signature problem. You can nail me to the wall if this is a system or OS issue. I'll bet it's an issue of the DropBox Mobile app offered in the Store. As all other Store apps I have can be installed and updated without issues (tried a lot), this error is in the app itself. The app developer (Rudy Huyn?) should have a look into this.

Level 5

I have tried updating the Dropbox Explorer app from the Windows Store at least 47 times on Saturday, 2018-09-01, between 10:45 AM EDT to 3:07 PM EDT.  Every single attempt has resulted in error code 0x800B0100.  This tells me that the version of DropBox Explorer currently sitting in the Windows Store is corrupted and/or lacks the necesary security markings that all Windows Store apps must have.  All other Windows Store apps update without issue, so this issue is SPECIFIC to DropBox Explorer in the Windows Store.

Level 6

I can only confirm and underline Wise's statement slightly smiling face

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Welcome! If you have a question about Dropbox, you’re in the right place

Post your question or search for an answer, the community is here to help

Not looking for support? Explore other features of Dropbox

Learn more about the community

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post
  • Martin2108
  • Miguelgrado