Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blank login screen with dropbox app on windows 7 pc

SOLVED
165 Comments
17 Kudos
Level 4

Re: Blank SignIn Dialog

I'm having the same problem. Brand new W7 installation (not even SP1). Get blank sign in window. All worked OK on an idential setup about a week ago. Typing in the login details to the blank screen dowsn't work either. 

Seems little support from Dropbox about this, and I pay for extra storage. Time to look elsewhere maybe...

Level 2

Actually, this was the only thing that worked for me. But you really have to be patient. In my case, upon a brand new install, the fields were shown, just seemed not working (but upon any subsequent opening the signup window, it was fully blank). What worked for me:

1. Install Dropbox and let it automatically throw up the window;
  2. Very patiently move the mouse and see when/if the cursor changes;
  3. Click once, Ctrl-A, Delete (just to be sure the field is empty, I was bumbling around);
  4. Type e-mail address, TAB, type password, Enter, Enter once more.

I thought it was not working but apparently, it was.... after some time, upon pressing Enter again, came up the Selective Sync dialog, which directories to sync, but by that time, I was already logged in and could work as normal (just had to close the signing screen).

I'm not saying this is a good solution, but at least there is hope. My setup was a brand new Windows 7 x64, too... maybe some runtime libraries are/were missing?

Level 5

@Mai-Chan.  Thanks for taking the time to investigate this.  I'm sure that on the basis of your findings, people will be able to get around this roadblock.

What I can't understand is this:

Surely a Dropbox engineer has seen these posts?  There must be enough information in the posts to enable them to reproduce/find/fix the problem.  At the very least, an acknowledgement of the existence of the problem should be made.

Level 4

I had a response from support that made me investigate further. On a naked Win 7 (no updates, not even SP1) last week or so it all worked fine, This week it failed (so they have changed something!). The suggested solution of using an older version didn't work either.

What DID work was to disable the Windows Firewall completely, and install Dropbox. Sign in screen comes up just as it used to, and you can link the PC to Dropbox. Once it has started syncing, you can re-enable the firewall, and it carries on quite happily. Reboot, and everything still OK (i.e. you only need to fiddle with the firewall on initial installation).

Wonder what they've changed!

Level 3

Re: Dropbox client on Windows 7 will not give login window

I have exactly the same problem attempting to install current version of Dropbox on brand new install of Windows 7.

Please fix!!

Level 3

Re: Dropbox client on Windows 7 will not give login window

Any fix for you yet jperkins?
Level 2

Dropbox Setup Shows Blank screen

I have a couple of Enterprise Macs running Sierra 10.12.3, and I am unable to setup the Desktop app on them. On both I receive a Blank White screen after launching the application from the Applications Folder. I am currenty trying to install version 19.4.13. I thought the issue was the Mobile Device Management software we use, Airwatch, was the issue. After removing Airwatch however, the issue persists. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dropboxer

Re: Dropbox Setup Shows Blank screen

Hello @Servontius,

Please try disabling your antivirus , configure your firewall and then go to www.dropbox.com/downloading to refresh the installation on your device.

If you keep experiencing issues, so that our support team can investigate more on this, please go to www.dropbox.com/support and submit a ticket request.

Once you do, please let us know here with the ticket ID so that we can help.

Thank you!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you find my post helpful your Kudos  are appreciated!

If it answered your question, please mark White check mark Accept as Solution below so other users can find it quickly!  slightly smiling face  

Dropboxer

Hello everyone,

In case you are trying to sign in to the Dropbox app on your device and you encounter a blank login window, please follow those steps:

1.  Make sure that your OS is supported

2. Disable your antivirus and configure your firewall.

3. Install the latest stable version of Dropbox by going on www.dropbox.com/downloading.

If you keep experiencing issues, so that our support team can investigate more on this, please go to www.dropbox.com/support and submit a ticket request.

Thank you!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you find my post helpful your Kudos  are appreciated!

If it answered your question, please mark White check mark Accept as Solution below so other users can find it quickly!  slightly smiling face  

Level 2

Hello,

This procedure got me a little further.  I'm running Windows 7 under Hyper-V, and I interact with the desktop either through RDP or the Hyper-V manager.

I disabled the firewall and tried installing the latest DropBox.  It got stuck with the same symptom of blank screen.

Then I disabled my MS Security Essentials antivirus real time scan.  At that very moment, DropBox popped a message saying it was renaming my old DropBox folder.  It creating a new folder and started syning my content.  I didn't have to log in, but maybe some part of the DropBox installation does that automatically when I'm already signed in on the Web.

So now I'm syncing to the local dropbox folder ok, but if I click on the DropBox icon on the taskbar I don't get to see any options only a blank screen.  This makes me think there is some general problem with all screens, not just the first login screen.  The next thing I want to do is set up the selective sync but with the blank screen I can't see any of the options.

If I just hover over the taskbar icon, it says 20.4.19 in case you are interested in the version.

Anyway, this is some progress but the blank screens issue is not completely resolved.

BTW, I already have an open support ticket and all I get for responses is the canned response with the link to "common" issues.