Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

can't complete setup

Level 3

I can run the drop box installer and it tells me that dropbox is installed.  When the SETUP box appears on the screen, the box is blank is inside and I am unable to complete setup so Dropbox is not usable yet.  How do I get it to complete the setup?

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: can't complete setup

Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that, @vjtaylor

As a first step, could you check if there are any third-party apps that might be blocking/hindering the installation process, like an antivirus? Try temporarily disabling your antivirus or security program or configure your firewall to work with Dropbox, it might do the trick. 

Also, could you by any chance be you connected through a work network? If you are, check with your company’s IT department, since there may be an update on your Firewall settings (or another additional security precaution placed) which could be affecting your connection. 

Furthermore, I’d highly recommend having a look through this article for more suggestions. Although the errors outlined may not apply to you, you may come across something that might help resolve your concern. 

If none of these help, could you please send me a screenshot (excluding any personal info) of the error message that you’re seeing?

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Thanks for the quick response.  I am not actually getting error message.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times all with the same result.  Windows tells me that Dropbox is installed and I get a small window tellint mt to "set Up Dropbox".  There is nothing inside the box.  I am unable to complete setup.

I have Dropbox running on five other devices and never have had a problem.  I am setting up a new Windows 10 Pro desktop and everthing but dropbox has installed okay.  I checked my Norton Firewall and it is set up to allow Dropbox.  Thanks for your help.

Dropbox clip.JPG

Super User II

@vjtaylor wrote:

I checked my Norton Firewall and it is set up to allow Dropbox.

That's not always enough, especially with Norton. Temporarily disable it completely, then launch Dropbox again.

Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshot, @vjtaylor

In order to have a better look into this with you, due to account-specific info required, I’ve sent you an email to the email address that’s associated with your Forum profile. Please check your inbox for my latest message and we’ll take it from there. 

Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

I have disabled Norton and I get the same result.  I have never had trouble installing with Norton before.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

can't complete setup
5 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post