cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: change my dropbox folder name on my PC

change my dropbox folder name on my PC

Elliott F.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have my dropbox folder in the D drive of my computer. For some reason, the dropbox folder is not named "D:\Dropbox", but "D:\Dropbox (Elliotfan)" with my account name together. Does anybody know how to return the name back to "D:\Dropbox" without messing up the saved files?

Thanks.

55 Replies 55

John Q.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It's been over a year that people have been justifiably complaining. It's an obvious, glaring issue that has never made any sense to anyone who uses dropbox outside of Windows Explorer or Finder; which I'm sure is a decent percentage of your users. Add an option to the settings to allow a root name change.

Fix this!

Rufus G.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have a related problem.  Have had a personal account for a long time and now my employer has moved us to dropbox too so the accounts have been linked on both my home and work PCs.  On my work PC my original folder has been renamed Dropbox (personal), but on my home PC it remains just dropbox.  That means that any files with links to other files will only work on one or other machine as the path is different depending on which machine I am looking.

Penny G.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

We've been using the free version of Dropbox for our charity for a while but I also had a personal Dropbox account for photos etc.  Recently I found that I could now link the two on one PC and this worked fine - it renamed my work Dropbox with the charity name so it's really clear. 

But I've just noticed that I have 3 Dropbox folders showing on the PC - one called Dropbox, one called Dropbox (Down's Heart Group) and one called Dropbox(Personal).  When I check the first two appear to have the same files and folders and if I delete a file from one it disappears from the other too.  Do I really have two copies of them all or is this a registry.sync error or something?

Probably unconnected but I also added the 'Team Folder' to the work Dropbox about the same time. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The one called "Dropbox" is a symbolic link to the other.

From here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/4210

For admins: File and folder paths

• If your team members already have Dropbox installed on their computers, all files and most applications will automatically point to the new work Dropbox folder and subfolders. Dropbox will create a hidden symlink that points to the new Dropbox folder from the old location. Fresh installs don’t require this, as the Dropbox folder is created with the business name from the beginning.

Penny G.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks Rich R.  That sort of makes sense except it says it applies to Dropbox Business users and we've not upgraded to a Business account.

Shawn M.16
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My personal account is the only one used on my home computer but Dropbox still insists on naming the folder Dropbox (Personal).  It's absolutely ridiculous that I can't rename my Dropbox folder.  Stupid crap like that is the reason Dropbox will never see a penny of my money.

Owen R.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

So is there a solution to this that isn't a symlink now? Since joining dropbox for business many of my scripts no longer work since they receive the path which contains spaces and special characters (even when symlinked). Is there really no way that you can just rename the root folder? How can Dropbox rename it for you and not allow you to change it something else?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

So is there a solution to this that isn't a symlink now?

Keep in mind that this is completely unsupported.

Luke D.6
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Never liked unsupported hacks.  I love these discussions as it can keep a person from making a bad decision.  I decided NOT to go with the business version due to so many post outlining the problems with Dropbox Business.

Justin M.34
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Like Luke, we are not a fan of the hacks. We are slowly moving off Dropbox Business project to project and have found sync.com business pro to be a great, reliable solution. Have been using that since my initial post above with no problems, and the interface, features and pretty much everything is as nice or nicer than dropbox ( its also notably faster with my ISP too for some unexplainable reason, always had to throttle my dropbox upload speed ) - with the exception of customer support which is notably lacking. Dropbox takes the cake there. We continue to use Dropbox for legacy info, been on it forever, but until they fix this issue it is not the future for any company involved in web or application development that needs control over file paths. 

Need more support?