cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: change my dropbox folder name on my PC

change my dropbox folder name on my PC

Elliott F.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have my dropbox folder in the D drive of my computer. For some reason, the dropbox folder is not named "D:\Dropbox", but "D:\Dropbox (Elliotfan)" with my account name together. Does anybody know how to return the name back to "D:\Dropbox" without messing up the saved files?

Thanks.

55 Replies 55

Ben M.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

OMG - is this for real. It's beyond belief that I can't change the name. I am completely stuck and it appears that having changed the name to simplify working with some unix tools, I'm now facing downloading a TB of data again. 

This is bizarre - not least that I have previously changed it in my personal one. ..

Roel K.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I love Dropbox, but this is a weird lack of function. Shouldn't it be really easy to change the Dropbox names?

What if your company changes it's name. Would the root folder have the old name forever?

Jim C.52
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have loved Dropbox for years.  Now, I have serious doubts for two reasons:  1).  The "Hard sell" to upgrade to business is offensive and inconsiderate.  2).  Having to suffer through the confusion and inconvenience of removing a team name just because I inadvertently clicked for the free trial of "Business".  This is sad.  

So until I change to another provider, I guess I will continue with the root folder with the name: Dropbox <TeamName>.  CRAP.  Our little bank has about 20 users and I have some influence there since I own the bank. BOO Dropbox. 

NnN C.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This is horrible.  I came here thinking I would find the obvious solution I was missing to this unassumingly simple issue only to find that it has been years in the making. 

First of all I was removed from a shared account for work.  Which apparently forces the DB app to revert the naming convention for the local folder without also giving me the option to first consolidate files out of the separate personal and shared account folders.  So now my local DB folders are unlinked and all of my local DB files are no longer connected to the DB app.  Then what I've learned so far is that I either need to use a clunky unsupported workaround, or re-sync all my 500+ gigs down from the DB servers? 

You guys do understand people use this for working right?  Maybe adding something like a simple "rename Dropbox folder" feature would help greatly, or hell you could even have the Dropbox folder automatically rename itself back to what it was previously for all I care.  Myself and I'm sure many others never want the folder to become unlinked in the first place!  This is bad UX and you know it. 

Justin M.34
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm married to dropbox for years of legacy work. Sync is amazing: I do not work for or endorse them in any way. I own a web design and development shop and just wanted something that works. Doesn't have every dropbox feature , but it has all the ones you use everyday. Been a long time since my first post in this thread, which goes back even further. Sync is awesome, its faster, hogs less cpu, and its very personal/business/multiple account friendly. I'll be paying for both for prob a few years, but I don't mind. Dropbox had every opportunity to fix this. It must be a very expensive and fundamental problem to fix.

ehhx85
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I just chatted with the help desk about this and apparently NO ONE ever read this message. Because they would have fixed this over the past year.

ehhx85
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I agree 100% and had to tell them the exact same thing. How do you all not know about this? 

kannb71
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hallelujah!  Thank you, Stefanie!  Just what I needed.

Citizentoni
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is terrible. It's May 2017 and still this has not been addressed??

bleen
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Why is this forum topic marked "SOLVED"? The symlink workaround is not a sufficiant solution. This is not solved. 

Need more support?