cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: change my dropbox folder name on my PC

change my dropbox folder name on my PC

Elliott F.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have my dropbox folder in the D drive of my computer. For some reason, the dropbox folder is not named "D:\Dropbox", but "D:\Dropbox (Elliotfan)" with my account name together. Does anybody know how to return the name back to "D:\Dropbox" without messing up the saved files?

Thanks.

55 Replies 55

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
There is nothing to solve. Dropbox is working as intended.

bleen
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Having a space in the folder name (even when using symlinks) causes huge problems with certain pacakge managers like composer and other tools like Kubernetes if you keep your project files in Dropbox. Requiring folder names to have spaces (and parens for that matter) is hugely problematic for developers and software engineers.

@Rich wrote:
There is nothing to solve. Dropbox is working as intended.

I agree that Dropbox is working as intended but everyone on this thread has indicated that the intended behavior is unsatisfactory and should be changed. I have not seen any response in this thread from Dropbox indicating that this will never be changed, therefore this is not "solved". 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Solved doesn't necessarily mean that the concern has been solved to everyone's satisfaction. It's also used as a way to pin the most relevant reply, in this case, from a Dropboxer, to the top of the page for everyone to see.

Justin M.34
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This problem isn't solved. Its not a bug - its a fundamental design flaw. 

Inability to rename folder -> problem for developers and many others. 

This thread is long and old enough to show that many Business customers don't just want, but require this feature. Bottom line still exists - DropBox is unusable for my business and many others. 

I don't fault any single developer working on DropBox, it is a generally great product. But not realizing spaces and special characters break build paths when the collective development leads came up with this naming plan... there is absolutely no excuse for that. None.

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello everybody, 

Your feedback on the topic is very much appreciated and we monitor threads like this closely.

Technically speaking, in terms of forum practices, this specific thread can be considered Solved as the answer to the question has been provided.

If you have some extra time, please go to the Idea Section here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox/idb-p/101002013

and create a thread so people can vote on it. Be sure though that I will make sure your comments are passed on to the developers.

Thank you all for taking the time to discuss this!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Justin M.34
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Marking this solved and closing and referring to a seperate link is a cop out.

Saying an undocumented symlink hack is a solution is not a solution. This thread was closed prematurely because it is disruptive, and DropBox knows it but can't effectively do anything about it ( And i do sympathize with the complexities in core architecture ).

Understand just doing your job.

This week I am making it a priority to move everything off DropBox. Nothing personal. Its just business.

Still, marking this solved when it isn't is the straw that broke the camel's back.

I hope to move back onto DropBox in the future, your customer support is A+++ and always a pleasue, but this issue is very real, absolutely NOT solved.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Justin M.34 wrote:
Still, marking this solved when it isn't is the straw that broke the camel's back.

As I stated previously...

Solved doesn't necessarily mean that the concern has been solved to everyone's satisfaction. It's also used as a way to pin the most relevant reply, in this case, from a Dropboxer, to the top of the page for everyone to see.

There is no other method to pin a reply to the top of a thread. Marking a reply as the solution is the only way to pin a reply. It does not necessarily mean that the issue has been resolved.

Justin M.34
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Touchè, semantics.

It would be misleading to allude this as solved. But as long as it stays pinned and relevant, cool.

The solution is to be able to control DropBox folder names, which is currently not possible.

ehhx85
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
So I have stopped using Dropbox business and now that I am about to finish my doctoral degree in nuclear engineering and I'm asking myself "When did Dropbox fall off". I've loved your data service but your customer service is about as bad as Comcast.

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Justin M.34 & @ehhx85,

I understand that this may be causing inconvenience but at the moment this is not a supported feature. I can reassure you though that this whole thread has been passed to our developers and they are aware of your comments.

As @Rich wrote in the last post, the only way to pin a post that can help users regarding an issue or inform them about their question is by marking this post as a solution - this automatically marks the thread as solved.

Your comments help us get better and I appreciate taking the time to post here. I will be around and please let me know if you need anything else on this or another topic.

Thank you!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?