Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

33 Comments
31 Likes
Highlighted
Level 5

dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb doesn't produce a dropbox menu on Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

My dropbox repo is set up according to the instructions at https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/linux-commands which previously installed a fully working dropbox_2015.10.28_amd64.deb under Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial. However todays update to dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb doesn't produce the Dropbox icon and menu in the menu bar despite restarting nautilus after the package upgrade. Only reinstalling dropbox_2015.10.28_amd64.deb and restarting nautlius restores the Dropbox icon menu bar.

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Dropboxer

Re: dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb doesn't produce a dropbox menu on Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

Hey all,

We've fixed the issue with the dropbox nautilus package. The Linux install page on dropbox.com doesn't currently have the right package (it'll be updated in a day), but you can run the following to update to the correct and fix the tray.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install dropbox
# The fix is in v2018.11.28, so the above command should
# print out this: # Setting up dropbox (2018.11.28) ... # Restart nautilus so it picks up the new package nautilus --quit # Restart Dropbox if it's running so it will create the tray # icon successfully. dropbox stop dropbox start

If you want to install the packages yourself, you can download them from these links:

- 64-bit package

- 32-bit package

Sorry again for the disruption!

Best,

Samer

33 Replies
Level 2

Dropbox icon disappeared from Ubuntu after package 2018.11.08

Hey all, I realize "tray icon disappears in Ubuntu" is a very common issue with a couple of different solutions but I believe this case to be a bit different.

I've been running Dropbox on Ubuntu 18.04 with no problems for quite a while. Getting it set up I ran into other instances of this symptom, but fixed them by installing libappindicator.

This morning, I booted my computer and the tray icon came up fine. Then I noticed that the update manager was prompting an update to the actual "dropbox" package (you know, the one that hasn't been updated since 2015 since it's just a wrapper for the main daemon download). I ran the update and the tray icon disappeared, and I haven't been able to get it back.

• my "dropbox" package version is now 2018.11.08
  • the sync daemon is still running fine and accessible via the CLI
  • I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the dropbox package, and rebooting the OS
  • I do still have libappindicator installed

My assumption is that something has changed (a bug?) with the new package version. I've been unable to find any sort of changelog so I don't really know what to look for.

Thanks,

Evan

Level 2

Re: Dropbox icon disappeared from Ubuntu after package 2018.11.08

I'm seeing the same issue on Ubuntu 16.04.

Level 2

Same issue here. I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit. Unity desktop

Unistalling dropbox and resinstalling it from the .debk package from dropbox.com (v 2015.10.28 brings the icon back, but it disappears again when installing the 2018.11.08 update.

Any solution?

Thanks!

Level 5

Same problem: Running Ubuntu 16.04, 64 bit, Unity

Dropboxer

Re: dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb doesn't produce a dropbox menu on Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

Just to clarify, have you by any chance tried running a headless installation, and ensured that command in your Linux terminal is as outlined here

If you’re still having trouble with this, I’d kindly recommend moving this discussion to email, in which case I can contact you to your email address associated with your Forum profile.

Let me know of any update!

[EDIT]

Hey peeps! I moved your posts here as well, so as to keep track of your queries. Could you also please clarify what I mention above and let me know how it goes? Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5

I don't see any differences in files present for 'dpkg -L for the functional  dropbox_2015.10.28_amd64.deb being installed and the broken dropbox_2018.11.08_amd64.deb. Also keep in mind that Ubuntu 16.04 is the last release running their Unity desktop rather than Gnome so it is a unique critter.

Level 4

Same problem here (Ubuntu 16.04). During the update, btw, I got a pop-up message warning that Nautilus should be restarted, which I accepted.

tna
Level 3

Hi,

Please do not move this conversation to email, there are others who would like to see the progress (me too).

I am (and probably everyone still using Unity) affected by this issue as well and I can add one more detail to this.

I have the "indicator-systemtray-unity" installed for the old programs that still use the old system tray and with this update the Dropbox indicator icon went to that tray.

The icon is new and it looks like it was designed for Gnome 3 in mind. On click there is a dropdown but unfortunately it is empty.

I am on Ubuntu 16.04.5 using Unity.

Maybe this new version uses a new Gnome kind of notification feature and the support for Unity indicators is "accidentally" dropped?

Thanks for looking into this by the way.

Level 2

Same on Kubuntu 18.04. Empty menu after click on a tray icon.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Installation and desktop app issues.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post