installation error 2 - win 7

how to fix installation error 2 on Win 7
5 Accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Dropboxer

Re: installation error 2 - win 7

Hey problemdadu

Thanks for reaching out for help on Community!

The issue you're experiencing may be related to an incomplete file created in the Program Files folder path location, or to a problem with the PATH environment variable.

We need to verify that the files installed in the following folder paths are OK:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox
C:\Program Files\Dropbox - (if you don't see the '(x86)')

Normally you should see a folder named, "Client" within this folder path. If you see that, instead of a folder, there appears to be a 0 byte file named "Client" I'd like to ask you to delete it, and then attempt to install the application once again.

If doing so does not resolve the issue outright, or if you find a proper folder instead of the 0 byte file, then you may be able to fix the issue by setting up your PATH environment variable or reverting it back to the default one.

It seems that, most of the times, the PATH environment variable should contain the following:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%

If you would like, you can try this step and then try installing.

Finally, if none of the above fixed the issue, at this point we'd like to clear any Dropbox application files remaining (deleting any of these folders will not delete the files in your Dropbox folder) and then try installing one last time.

Mind ensuring that there is no record of a Dropbox folder within any of the following locations:

%APPDATA%
%LOCALAPPDATA%
%PROGRAMFILES%
%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%

You can copy and paste each one of them into the address field of Windows explorer (not Internet explorer) and then press enter. If you find a Dropbox folder there, please delete it.

Then restart your system and give the installation process one last try, here's a link to the latest stable version:

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

Please let me know if any of the troubleshooting steps stated above helped resolves the issue you're seeing during installation.

If these troubleshooting steps didn't fix the problem, I'd like for you to please log a ticket with Dropbox support the installer's log files. They are in one of these two folders:

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Dropbox\installer\l
%APPDATA%\Dropbox\installer\l

You can copy and paste that folder name into Windows Explorer.

Don't worry if you don't find the folder in one of the above locations. This is normal.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation! If you submit a ticket, pelase let me know a ticket ID in your reply, so that I follow-up on that. 

Kind regards, 
JaneA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Accept as Solution White check mark if this post answers your question!
Kudos relieved face are always appreciated!! Rainbow

Solution
Level 2

I realized after posting my request for help is that I was attempting an online Dropbox update while Dropbox was downloading about 70 files that I had put into Dropbox on other computers.  I *suspect* this caused the error 2; if so, the Dropbox software should have prevented the update while it was loading files.

All that I did was wait until the file update finished, and then did an offline Dropbox update from the web site.  That worked.

I do appreciate the thoughful answer I received.  Had the offline update failed, I would have followed the steps outlined in the answer.

Solution
Level 2

Re: Error 2 when installing dropbox

FIXED for me at least.  I just encountered this installer encountered error 2 when installing on windows 8.1 fresh install.  I ran all windows updates and after installing all windows updates and restarting the machine.  Dropbox installed without an issue.

Solution
Level 2

I tried evrey things

the best way to install the dropbox from windwos safe mode

100% will install

Solution
Level 2

I had the Error 2 message repeatedly when I tried to reinstall Dropbox after something weird happened to my computer, even after following the suggested disables.  I have Windows 8.1.  I followed someone's advice and ran CCleaner a couple of times, then rebooted.  Dropbox installed without a hitch.   It's worth a try.  Just download the free version.

131 Replies
Highlighted
Level 1

Error 2 when installing dropbox

I am trying to install dropbox on my win 7 pc. Shortly after starting installation i get the error 2 message.
I have deactivated windows firewall and virus programme, still no joy.

Level 1

same problem, I previously had dropbox installed and it stopped working, I uninstalled then reinstalled and got the same error.

Level 1

I had dropbox on my computer but the program disappeared, leaving behind a folder called dropbox, but no program. tried to reinstall but got error message 2 after several attempts, both online and offline. any suggestions?

Level 1

same problem, I previously had Dropbox installed and it stopped working, I uninstalled then reinstalled using latest download and got the same error. "The installer encountered Error 2"

I checked the control panel but it had not installed anything on the system so I then downloaded the Offline installer and tried that - same error.

Level 1

Same problem here. Problem with the latest build?

Level 1

same problem here, on win 10. what is the solution? why is no one from Dropbox answering this question?

Level 1

Same problem on Win 10. I was using on my old PC with Vista. Purchased new PC and install fails even using Offline executable. Turned off all anti-virus and firewall.

Level 1

I, too, am having the same issue, and my requests to Dropbox for assistance are ignored. Anyone have any solutions?

Level 1

same here, no solution