Top kudoed members this week View now

installation error 2 - win 7

SOLVED
209 Comments
21 Kudos
Level 4

Re: Install error 2 (Win 8.1)

Hi  

Thanks for your help. I've sent a ticket but now I have figured out a way to solve my problem: Install an older version of Dropbox (30.4.22) and VOILA! The case has been resolved.

I think the reason that is the latest version of Dropbox. Hope you can fix these problems as soon as possible.

Level 2

Re: installation error 2 - win 7

I'm also encountering this problem. I'm using a fresh Win8.1 reinstall.

First time I tried installing Dropbox, I made a dumb move and restarted my PC mid-installation process (another program asked me to), not sure if that's the cause of my issues.

Eitherway, now every time I run the installer (offline version too), I get error 2.

Made sure the AppData and Program Files folders didnt have anything dropbox related in them, restarted PC, still get error 2.

It kindof feels like there's some corrupted registry key somewhere that the installer fails to read/write to? Couldn't find on though. Just my guess.

Dropbox.exe crashlog (from %APPDATA%/Dropbox) incase it matters:

Spoiler
dropbox: loading python
dropbox: initializing interpreter
dropbox: setting program path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client_33.4.23\Dropbox.exe'
dropbox: setting home path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client_33.4.23'
dropbox: setting python path 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client_33.4.23;C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client_33.4.23\python-packages.zip'
dropbox: python initialized
dropbox: running entry point
dropbox: setting args
dropbox: applying overrides
dropbox: running script
dropbox: load extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_33.4.23\\tornado.speedups.pyd'
dropbox: load extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_33.4.23\\cryptography.hazmat.bindings._constant_time.pyd'
dropbox: load extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_33.4.23\\cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.pyd'
dropbox: load extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_33.4.23\\cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.pyd'
dropbox: load extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_33.4.23\\winffi.crt.compiled._winffi_crt.pyd'
dropbox: load extension 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client_33.4.23\\psutil._psutil_windows.pyd'

Level 2

Re: Firewall off still keep getting error 2...

I found a solution that corrected my "Error 2" installation problem.  The root cause appears to be a Registry key permissions issue.  I recommend the following steps.

1. Uninstall DropBox per https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/uninstall-dropbox (Windows instructions).
  2. Download and install the latest version.  https://www.dropbox.com/downloading
  3. You should receive another "Error 2" or "Permissions" error.  Close the installer.
  4. Fix broken Registry key inheritance.
    1. Open Regedit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Dropbox
    2. Right click KS folder > Permissions > Advanced > Enable Inheritance > OK > OK
    3. Repeat for KS1 and subsequent folders (if exist).
  5. Reinstall DropBox.

If multiple people log into the computer with different credentials, you will need to edit each person's registry key.

After restarting the computer KS2 through KS10 registry keys appear, each one with broken inheritance permissions, which were then manually adjusted.  I've tested with both Dropbox 32.4.23 Offline Installer.exe and DropboxInstaller.exe

Support contacted me and additional information was provided.  Hopefully they'll see this post as well.

Level 2

Re: Error 2 when installing dropbox

The instructionfound here did not reuslt in a fix

Level 4

eRe: Error 2 when installing

same here! ccleaner won´t fix my problem trying to intall dropbox for my windows 8.1 pro 

Solution
Level 2

Re: Error 2 when installing dropbox

FIXED for me at least.  I just encountered this installer encountered error 2 when installing on windows 8.1 fresh install.  I ran all windows updates and after installing all windows updates and restarting the machine.  Dropbox installed without an issue.

Level 2

dropbox installation

Error message each time I try to install : "The installer encountered error 2"
Super User II

Re: dropbox installation

Can you try https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/installation-error-2-win-7/m-p/219756#M... ?

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 2

Installation Aborted - Error Code 2

Hello, i just tried to install the latest online and offline Version of Dropbox and each time it's aborting with Error Code 2. The system variables are "ok", especially the %PATH% variable, it's the same like on another Computer, where it works. Please help
Highlighted
Solution
Level 2

Re: installation error 2 - win 7

I tried evrey things

the best way to install the dropbox from windwos safe mode

100% will install