installation error 2 - win 7

SOLVED
209 Comments
21 Kudos
Highlighted
Solution
Level 2

Re: installation error 2 - win 7

I had the Error 2 message repeatedly when I tried to reinstall Dropbox after something weird happened to my computer, even after following the suggested disables.  I have Windows 8.1.  I followed someone's advice and ran CCleaner a couple of times, then rebooted.  Dropbox installed without a hitch.   It's worth a try.  Just download the free version.

Dropboxer

Re: installation error 2 - win 7

Hey @Oinophilos

Thanks for sharing the workaround that fixed the issue for you here! White check mark 

I've made sure to accept your reply as a solution, so that other users who experience the same behavior find it easily. 

Let us know if there's anything we can do for you in the future, our team would be glad to follow-up! 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Accept as Solution White check mark if this post answers your question!
Kudos relieved face are always appreciated!! Rainbow

Level 4

Re: Error 2 when installing dropbox

I am facing exactly same problem. I am unable to install dropbox in freshly installed windows 8.1

There are no new windows update. Can anyone help me how to fix it?

Elmacho wrote:

FIXED for me at least.  I just encountered this installer encountered error 2 when installing on windows 8.1 fresh install.  I ran all windows updates and after installing all windows updates and restarting the machine.  Dropbox installed without an issue.

Dropboxer

Hey @saksham0703

Welcome to the Dropbox Community, let's look into that together!

Have you followed any of the advice listed above (clear your C:\ drive, install all latest Windows updates, re-install clearing registry entries etc.)? 

Let me know all the steps you've followed in your next message and we'll take it from there.

Thanks in advance! 

Level 4

Hi Jane,

Is it possible to have a proper software engineer look at the error 2 problem. I submitted a ticket and the suggestions have all failed. It has been weeks and I still haven't found a solution. Please advise. Thanks!

Dropboxer

Hey @suenj2

I'd be glad to share some context on the unexpected behavior you're experienced. 

You may keep in mind that the "error 2" message usually means that something isn't functioning well within a Microsoft OS, though it doesn't point to the root of the issue. Sometimes Windows just isn’t setup well, other times we might be hitting a conflict from other software/settings. 

Of course, because you've mentioned that you're still experiencing this issue, I've made sure to follow-up & transfer your comments along to our team, so that they handle your request and continue from where you've left off.  

Thanks for your patience while we're looking into that!

Level 4

Can we get a software engineer to take a hard look at the problem and tell us something other than a generic "well, it's maybe a Microsoft OS issue but we don't really know"?

Can you get with Microsoft and try to solve this? And based on a number of other replies where freshly installed Windows OS still can't install DropBox, I'm hesitant to believe it's "something isn't functioning well within Microsoft OS".

I've tried every single suggestion, trick, and workaround offered here, along with many others from other forums/sites. Nothing has worked. DropBox still works on my Windows 10 laptop, but won't even install on my Windows 10 desktop. As I've said before, there's absolutely nothing wrong with my desktop. No other software has issues running properly on it. Only DropBox.

Level 4

Hi Jane, Thanks for your response. As mentioned in my original post, I am trying to install Dropbox in freshly iinstalled wondows 8.1. Please note that the windows is already updated.

Level 4

Same is the case with me. Would appreciate quick rectifcation of this issue.

Level 4

Jane, please note that I am using original copy of windows 8.1 and I have re-installed windows a couple of times just to get rid of error 2. All other softwares are getting installed quickly without any problem but dropbox is repeatedly showing error 2. I am pretty much sure that the problem is with Dropbox build and not with windows OS.