cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: installer could not connect to the internet

installer could not connect to the internet

damadakde
New member | Level 2

I received a notice to do an update to dropbox. It says the installer cannot connect to the internet but internet access is fine and working for everything except this update installer.

14 Replies 14

Rich
Super User II

Something is blocking Dropbox's access to the Internet. Temporarily disable any firewall or antivirus software you're running, and try again.

damadakde
New member | Level 2

turned everything off, firewall (public and privage), defender, that's all i have. Still no bueno

Rich
Super User II

Are you able to browse to the Dropbox website? Have you tried a different network conenction, or plugged your computer directly into your cable modem or other network device (bypassing any router you may be using)?

Something, either on your computer or on your local network, is blocking Dropbox.

carlossierra311
Explorer | Level 4

Where you able to fix this? It's happening in one of our machines as well. Disabled firewall and defender, and still it's not working. 

damadakde
New member | Level 2

nope, just gave up. I can access from another machine.

rbb2
Helpful | Level 6

Having the same problem.  Contacted support chat, and they seem to have no clue.  

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hey peeps, sorry to hear that you’re having trouble installing the desktop app. 

One of the first steps to such behaviors, as @Rich also mentions, is to ensure that there aren’t any third-party apps that could be blocking or hindering the app from running, like an antivirus. In such cases, you can try temporarily disabling your antivirus or security program, and ensure that you’ve configured your firewall to work with Dropbox

However, from what I understand, you've already tried this initial step, but could you please also confirm for me if you’ve given the offline installer of the latest stable version (71.4.108) a shot? You can find the offline installer for the following OS here: Windows, Mac, Linux

Let me know of any updates and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

rbb2
Helpful | Level 6

I was able to download the latest release of the app, but when I run it, the icon says connecting but it doesn't connect.  When I select signin, nothing happens.  I am able to login to my files on Safari, but cannot sign in with the app.  

rbb2
Helpful | Level 6

Now it worked, when I switched to a different wifi connection, and it now said all apps can get acess to the internet.  Not sure what that was about, but it sure consumed a lot of time.

Need more support?