Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Accessing document on Windows, prohibits access for Mac users

New member | Level 2

We have just run into a problem which is expressed well by this Reddit user:
https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/blqd1u/file_access_errors_using_mac_office_and_dropbox...
Basically, if a Windows user logged onto the business domain simply accesses a shared MS Word or Excel document - no editing necessary - this immediately prohibits non-domain Mac users from opening it, from home or anywhere else: they get the dreaded error 'user does not have access privileges'. Rebooting the Mac allows access again for 10 mins or so.
This pretty much makes Dropbox unusable for the team - I hope that the Dropbox people are aware of the issue and are working on it?

3 Replies

Re: Accessing document on Windows, prohibits access for Mac users

Dropboxer

Hey there @ndaisley  - sorry to hear about this. 

I haven't seen a similar report recently - could you please forward us a screenshot of the exact error you (or they) get so we can have a complete view of the matter at hand? 

Also, to help isolate this issue, could you please try quitting the Dropbox application by using the following steps:

• Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac/Linux)
  • Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox"

If the issue persists when Dropbox is completely closed, this suggests that the cause is related to something outside of the Dropbox application (maybe MS Word or Excel in this case). You may want to check other applications or components of your Operating System that could be causing this.

If the issue is resolved when Dropbox is completely closed, please let me know.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Thank you for your response. At the moment the user I was just talking to is still able to access documents, having quit and restarted Dropbox a few minutes ago, but we will get you a screenshot as soon as we can.
Logically, if Dropbox is shut down, the documents are inaccessible to the user. Taking a local copy of one of the Db docs to use when Db is not running, replicates the permissions that the Windows system has applied to it, so it still cannot be opened.

This was all running fine until about a week ago. Similar documents shared among users on Sharepoint (for example) do not exhibit the issue. Even if it is the case that the issue has been introduced by security updates on Mac or Windows, other people are likely to run into it and it's a problem of sufficient impact that it might force us off Dropbox.

Dropboxer

I see, thanks for the additional information @ndaisley!

Keep me in the loop with any updates please. 

Oh, and if you need account specific assistance with this, please log a ticket with our support team so we can further help with all of our tools at our disposal. 

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Accessing document on Windows, prohibits access for Mac users
3 Replies
0 Likes