Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

After reinstalling Mac system from 2 months ago, syncing files so new ones on web are not deleted

Level 4

Mojave is not working on this computer so I need to go back to High Sierra. I installed Mojave October 27. I plan to use Time Machine to reinstall my system and all files to their October 27 status. Almost all changes I have made are in my DropBox files. So I want to know how to re-sync with DropBox after reinstallation so that the newer files (those after October 27) will get added to the DropBox on my computer rather than the older files on the computer from prior to October 27 replacing the newer ones in the web DropBox.

Thanks for your help. 

Dan

Sorry for sending the question without an explanation before.

5 Replies

Re: After reinstalling Mac system from 2 months ago, syncing files so new ones on web are not delete

Dropboxer
Hey there, @dwchandl

As a first step, I’d recommend ensuring that your files are up to date and then unlink. Once you complete transitioning to the OS version that you’d like, if the Dropbox folder is recreated with the old files inside it from that backup, delete the folder. Then reinstall the desktop app and let it run.

If you encounter any trouble with this, let me know and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: After reinstalling Mac system from 2 months ago, syncing files so new ones on web are not delete

Level 4

Thanks Lusil. Sounds like it should work.

Dropboxer

Let me know how it goes, @dwchandlgrinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 4

Hi Lusil.

I actually never tested the solution. After reinstalling High Sierra as it was before I installed Mojave, I got the same spinning beachballs as with Mojave. Luckily I was able to track it to Google Backup. So I have reinstalled the Mojave version and uninstalled Googel Backup and Mojave is working as well as High Sierra had been.

I guess there's a lesson there, but not about DropBox. 

Thanks for your help in any case.

Dan

Dropboxer

No problem, Dan! smiling face with open mouth and tightly-closed eyes If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to get back to us and, in the meantime, have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

After reinstalling Mac system from 2 months ago, syncing files so new ones on web are not deleted
5 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post