cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

After the new update, I'm getting "Failed to create Opengl" error and can't ignore folders.

Explorer | Level 3

Same here, the worst update recently. They messed the update up and spent us a lot of time! Also they changed the file / folder ignore strategy we have been used for many years. Even you used the way they suggested to create a grey minus icon folder or file, you will find dropbox still access the contents in the ignored folder to consume the time and resources. I also got a random error message popped up to say "Failed to create Opengl for format QSurfaceFormat" when dropbox app launched. These issues all occur after recent updates. What a shame! I am very very disappointed and angry!

3 Replies

Re: Dropbox wonky after 88.4.172 upgrade

Dropboxer

Hey there @Choyu, I hope you're well today!

I've moved your post to it's own thread as it seems you're having a few different issues here and I'd love to troubleshoot this with you separately to avoid any confusion.

(For your reference, the original thread you posted in is here.)

Firstly, for the error message that you're getting "Failed to create Opengl context", could you please take a look at Jane's reply here to see if those steps help at all?

For the ignore folder method, we're currently rolling out a feature that will allow you to do this via commands instead of the selective sync work around!

If you'd like to, I'd suggest checking out this article here with all the info regarding this change. You can try it out to see if this is available to you right now.

Finally, are you also experiencing the issue with the syncing appearing to be stuck without progressing? If so, did you have the chance to try the steps listed here?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

I had read most of the threads recently and tried the steps you suggested, including reinstalled the lasted graphic driver and advanced reinstalled dropbox client, no success. still got "Failed to create Opengl context" message randomly and sometimes get blank window when the dropbox icon in the system tray was clicked.

As I said I know the NEW way you suggested to create file /folder ignore via commands like powershell in windows system, it is ok, I do created the ignored folder with gey minus symbol. BUT, Dropbox still monitors what happens inside ignored folders!! When handreds of files change suddenly, dropbox still tries to index and even sync all files! consuming a lot of system resources. But the previous selective sync work around did not behave like this ridiculous way. THIS IS THE KEY POINT.

See this thread https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox/Ignore-folder-without-selective-sync/idi-p/5926/page/87#comm..., so many people are experiencing this problem.

Really hope dropbox will give back the core functions we accepted for many years in the next update.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @Choyu!

Since you've tried those steps, I'd like to have a better look into this with you via our Support channel.

I've reached out to the email linked with your profile here, so please check your inbox for my message if you'd like to continue troubleshooting with me there.

We really appreciate your feedback regarding the new method we introduced for ignoring local folders in Dropbox.

I've been keeping an eye on that thread there as I updated the idea status a while ago with the new information. I've made a note of your feedback too, I'm sure it will be very helpful since this is still in beta for selected users.

I'm looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

After the new update, I'm getting "Failed to create Opengl" error and can't ignore folders.
3 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post